Thinking of swapping my ki fit body media for a fitbit

Options
I have had my ki fit body media (this is the British version of the arm band they wear in the biggest loser) and I love it as a motivational tool, but you have to pay a subscription monthly, but I have lost the display unit, so it will cost £60 to replace this plus the monthly charge, so it may be worthwhile updating to the fitbit.

I like the idea of the fitbit because it syncs with my phone, and I can see how I am going, and no more subscription charges, is it as accurate. I love that the ki fit can tell me how much moderate and vigorous activity I do, though I know that it is not always accurate after nearly killing myself walking up a very long and steep incline which made my, heart race, and me pant, did not even warrant a minute of vigorous. Interested in people's views:noway:

Replies

• clanander
    clanander Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Jacqui
    I have both and love both.
    I still have a few month until my ki fit subscription is up and at the moment I'm undecided as to whether I will renew or not. I never had a display and looked at my data on the PC.

I find that I get very similar data/results from both devices. I don't use the sleep functions on either and I do not wear the ki fit to bed or on my arm. I've found for me the difference due to placement of the ki fit is negligible. I'd rather it be discreetly, comfortably tucked away in the side/back of my bra strap.

I like the social/challenging element to the fitbit (had an ultra originally and then got the flex) it can be a really useful motivational tool to get you to do those extra steps so you can overtake so and so in the leaderboard.
    We do not get any of that with ki fit/bodymedia, so for me that is and always has been lacking.

The benefits of just having the original outlay is obviously quite appealing - btw, a Fitbit flex is reduced in tesco at the moment to £50, well it was 3 days ago in my local big Tesco store. Looking online it says £68.... Still cheaper than full price anyway.

You can pair any fitbit device with your phone if it's new enough iPhone 4S and above. iPad 3 and above (I think) Samsung - you need an S3 or above to pair here. So that's your display if you have any of those devices.. And you would never need to look at the pc.
    You can obviously sync to the computer you do not need a wire like with the Ki fit, it's wireless, really good. You can charge your device using a wall socket or the pc.. You cannot charge the ki fit using anything but the computer, although I tried. I contacted their support team about this, and they had said, only through the pc.

Anyway, just my experience with both devices. Hope it helps. There are some amazing review YouTube videos out there too.
    Happy decision making.
    :)
    Lisa
    Edit: fitbit breaks down your time into activity type : sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, highly active.