Weighted gloves (on Amazon.ca)

Options
I'm going to do the Les Mills Combat program with my boyfriend, and since I bought it I picked the weighted gloves in my size. He checked Amazon.ca (smaller selection than Amazon.com, sad for us Canadians) but didn't find any he was sure about.

Could anybody recommend a good pair of weighted gloves for martial arts style cardio training?

Replies

• jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have fun with Combat, I am doing that right now and love it. You don't really need weighted gloves. In fact I would start out without them and try them once to see if you can keep your form up. You can injure yourself using them if you don't have the right form for the punches. That being said if you want a pair for men, I would check the local sporting goods stores. I found tons for men there, but not for women. Not sure what you have up there in Canada, but I found them in the US at Sports Authority.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    would also not recommend using weighted gloves right off the bat. poor punching form can do more damage then you might think even without weights.

btw, if you are dead set on the resistance, holding a 2 lbs dumbell would add even more difficulty then a glove IMO
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm so used to Internet shopping that just going to a store didn't even occur to me. :)

He's been doing Muay Thai for about 6 months and we've both done karate and various weapon-based martial arts. But it's been a while so I'll take your advice and give myself a chance to do each DVD without the gloves before adding them. That's a good warning, much appreciated.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I've done that class at the gym and loved it, is it a DVD?? If so I'm gonna get myself a copy right away.

I did not get weighted gloves, I only went a couple of times and I was *plenty* worn out at the end of class. So I would say don't worry about them until you've done it and assessed whether you need extra resistance or not.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    He's not using gloves in MT?

Use those.