Crossfit starting point

Options
2»

Replies

• aureliozl3
    aureliozl3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started Crossfit about three years ago at age 50. I was a non-athlete all my life and 30 pounds overweight. I couldn't do a single pushup, pullup, or dip. At the warmup for the beginner class, which was to run around a medium-sized industrial building three times, I nearly threw up after the first run and couldn't complete it, let alone the workout. I almost quite then.

Fortunately, the box I found had knowledgeable and rational coaches, and an encouraging membership. So, almost four years later, I'm still at it. Lost the 30 pounds and kept it off. I can now do pushups, pullups, dips, burpees, box jumps, Olympic lifts, and all manner of weird exercises. At nearly 54, I've never looked nor felt better. I competed in my first Crossfit competition a couple of months ago --- and this was the first athletic competition for me in my entire life. (I didn't so much as do Little League.)

As others have said, the key is finding the right box. Our trainers are the first one to tell me to scale back if I'm using too much weight or doing exercises with inappropriate form. You may have to try out several boxes to find the best one for you.