How many grams of protein can be absorbed at once

I was wondering how much protein can be absorbed at one sitting. I have been mixing protein powder with Greek yogurt for a protein boost. In total it is 49 grams of protein. However I have read that the body can only absorb about 21-30 grams at once.
So am I just throwing my money out the window by eating it together?

Replies

• valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Nobody knows and that is the truth. If you eat a steak how long do you think it takes for your body to digest it? How about a protein shake. Just get your protein and don't worry about it.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Depends on the oraphis.

Are you trying to say orifice?? FAIL :laugh:
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Your body does not instantly digest and process the protein you eat. It takes time. You can continue to mix the two if you like to. I have protein at each meal, sometimes from two sources and honestly, it keeps me feeling satisfied. Unless you have a medical reason such as kidney disease, keep doing what your are.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Depends on the oraphis.

This. +1 :drinker:
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    You're really over thinking it.

Eat the recommended amount of protein per day appropriate to your goals. If you decide to have a giant steak for breakfast that covers all of your protein needs and more than good for you.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    According to Layne Norton you can absorb an unlimited amount of protein within reason, however the anabolic response maxes out at 30-40 grams.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,766 Member
    I mix protein powder with plain yogurt and fruit everyday, anywhere from 1/3 scoop (8g protein) to a full scoop(24g) depending on how the rest of my day looks protein wise and it seems fine.

My one meal so far today had 60g of protein. It is nearly 6hrs later and I am still not hungry again :noway: