Chinese Buffet Coming Up - Advice please?

Options
2»

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    eat all the food... enjoy yourself... dont get on the scales for a few days... drink plenty of water as the sodium will be sky high.... simples!

This.

If you can't enjoy life once in a while. What's the point?

One meal doesn't make you fat. A sustained period of calorie surplus does. Having a right royal night/day out is good for the soul and will have zero impact in reality. Enjoy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds those pretty much nasty? It's always bad quality Chinese here...

But yeah - soup, lettuce, lean meat, steamed veggies, maybe a bit of rice, and steamed dumplings is usually what I eat there (I haven't been in a year though).
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I'd hit it till I felt ill and regroup in the morning. Just sayin
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'd enjoy the Chinese buffet and resume healthy eating next day.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who finds those pretty much nasty? It's always bad quality Chinese here...

But yeah - soup, lettuce, lean meat, steamed veggies, maybe a bit of rice, and steamed dumplings is usually what I eat there (I haven't been in a year though).

This one has received very good reviews. It is not all laid out, it is cooked to order. I provided the link to the menu in my first post.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I definitely plan on avoiding too much rice, but veggies, I will definitely be having.

Why? That's a great way to blow through a calorie budget, as chinese buffet vegetables are generally loaded with cheap oils.

Yup, spent a couple years as a wok cook under the tutelage of a couple experts from Hong Kong.

Meats are generally your best best, avoid spongy veg, a lot of the dishes started with 2-4 oz of oil, then sauteed hard, and the spongy stuff would just suck it up.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    It's a birthday... I would just pound the snot out of that buffet and worry about the bloat later....it's only temporary
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't go hungry. Fill up on low cal stuff BEFORE you go out. Drink as you eat. Avoid the obvious pitfalls of fried foods but it is just one night so go and enjoy it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have it covered.

The Chinese buffets (cheapy nasty ones all the way to very very nice ones) here in my part of the USA are so different though...they are literally buffet tables of food, and you pick up a plate and fill it yourself. The one you're going to in the UK sounds extremely different. That might explain some of the answers you've gotten so far. My usual M.O. is to fill one plate and not go back for seconds. I usually get no rice, no noodles, 1-2 pieces of the "bad" fried battered stuff and loads of veggies, fresh fruit, and probably 1/3 to 1/2 of my plate is meat (in sauces but not fried).