first time trying ANY diet plan

Options
Oh, hayyy, guys and gals. I have literally never kept a food journal or kept track of calories or had any interest in working. I'm a pretty competitive person, so I hope that by having a bunch of friends I'll be motivated to not mess up. I swear that I'm nice and always there if you need a little push as long as you can get my fat *kitten* up too.

I'm Courtney, a girl, twenty-three years old, 5'5", and 155 lbs. I'm trying to lose about forty pounds, so if you have goals like that, that's crazy cool. If not, let's be friends anyway!

Replies

• ohmyapologies
    Options
    I'M FRIENDLY, I PROMISE. WILL POST PICTURE SOON.
  • ohmyapologies
    Options
    bump
  • oarngesi
    oarngesi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey just stay around and read some of the success stories of others here you'll be very impressed and inspired. I know i have been.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you aboard. You will see that there are both men and women of all ages, sizes and backgrounds on here. I have found success with trying to be consistent, not beating myself up if I mess up, not depriving myself of what I love- I just eat smaller portions and I log absolutely everything, even if it's a few potato chips. If you already have an exercise that you love- good for you, but if not, try different things until you find something that you really love and get moving. Don't get too caught up on scale numbers but go more by measurements and how your clothes fit and of course, how good you feel. Good luck and I have found that if you reach out for support on here you will always find it.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am looking for friends that have a specific goal, and are on strict keto diet plans (low carb/ high fat). You, I suppose, are not on keto, so it won't do me any good to add you. But I want to give a strong word of advice.....

If you forget to log something, and it is what sends you into the red, you are only cheating yourself, and you are throwing off all the algorithms for weight loss on this site. As stated above, log everything, or account for it at least. What will help you the most is to get a food scale. That way, you can weigh everything instead of eyeballing it (like cereal). if a serving is 28 grams, it means 28 grams, not the 1cup that you eyeball in an opaque measuring cup. So, measure by weight, not capacity. You can get a cheap digital food scale for about $25 at Walmart or Amazon. Most scales will measure in ounces (American) and grams (everywhere else). You will get more exact portions with grams, as the division is easier (yes, portioning requires some math skills- you wont always get it to be exactly a whole serving).

I measure every ingredient I cook with or eat. It really does open your eyes to what is actually a serving for the foods you eat. You would be surprised.

you can start a thread on nutrition called "how the deficit works," and you wont be short of people that will give you advice on how MFP works. but basically, 3500 calories is a pound. There are 7 days in a week, so a deficit of 500 calories will help you lose 1 lb a week. the calories you are allotted each day does not account for exercise, so add that in. And, you will see that nothing about your body is constant. Your total daily energy expenditure will always be different day to day, based on routine and activity. If all days are same, it may vary about 2-300 calories per day that you either burn off or dont burn off in a 24 hour cycle.

Best of luck to you!
  • ohmyapologies
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! You're all so nice! It's absolutely wild! I really appreciate it!
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am looking for friends that have a specific goal, and are on strict keto diet plans (low carb/ high fat).

I have had good results with the Steak and Eggs Diet from Clay Rogers program (The Hollywood Physique Method). Was fun for a a while to cut fat really quick...but I love carbs too much to stay on it long.