Knee Pain

Options
hope25
hope25 Posts: 188 Member
I have been working out each evening on my wii fit the last two weeks, but my knees are starting to bother me. They ache when walking or going up stairs. I don't know if this is something I should just push through the pain or should I give them a break.
Can anyone suggest some good calorie burning exercises that are easy on the knees?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have been working out each evening on my wii fit the last two weeks, but my knees are starting to bother me. They ache when walking or going up stairs. I don't know if this is something I should just push through the pain or should I give them a break.
    Can anyone suggest some good calorie burning exercises that are easy on the knees?

Low impact - I use Just Walk (aka/Walk at Home) DVDs. There's no choreography (so no jerky movements trying to catch up). Anything that has a higher impact (brief sections at most) can be easily modified. I can do these videos on an puzzle mat for extra cushion. A rebounder is even lower impact.

Non-twisting- this may be a form issue or may be working out on the wrong surface. I've tried Tae Bo (low impact) but, because I'm not good at it OR because I was working on a carpeted surface it bothered my knees. Zumba has been known to bother knees.

Squats - this is another exercise where form is critical. Bad form = sore knees.

Take a day off....do some yoga. Recouperate. Then assess what the problem could be.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Joint pain is pretty much something that you never want to push through as a general rule. Give your body time to rest - try a bit of ice and take an anti-inflammatory. Going from completely sedentary to active is hard on your body and particularly your joints. The last thing you want to do is injure yourself so early in the game. And don't feel bad about taking rest days - focus on your diet for weight loss and focus on exercise for your health.