Any advice?

Options
I have been heavy and sedentary all my life. I've been using fitness pal for about 3 weeks and have lost about 15 lbs but I have a long way to go. I am currently at 281 and I need to be at 150 or so. Anyway, I am loosing but I know i need to add an exercise routne but have a hard time finding anythig that will keep me moving. Just never been part of my culture. Any ideas? Physically, I can't just jump up and take a run...

Replies

• yorkbiz
    yorkbiz Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been heavy and sedentary all my life. I've been using fitness pal for about 3 weeks and have lost about 15 lbs but I have a long way to go. I am currently at 281 and I need to be at 150 or so. Anyway, I am loosing but I know i need to add an exercise routne but have a hard time finding anythig that will keep me moving. Just never been part of my culture. Any ideas? Physically, I can't just jump up and take a run...
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Walking is such an easy way to exercise. Take a short walk, then increase the amount of time or distance you walk as you feel comfortable.

Also, if you have a YMCA or city pool near you, swimming or walking in a pool is really easy on your body and your knees.

Let us know how you are doing!
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    Options
    I totally agree with the previous poster, walking or any pool exercise is great!! Maybe get some small weights at home and do arm curls, start really small and work up as you lose weight and build muscle.
    You know, even a stationary bicycle at an even pace would be a good thing to start with.
    Good for you and good luck!!
  • keri_cook
    keri_cook Posts: 14
    Options
    the best thing to do is just move....most people start off at walking...walk for so many minutes..another thing you can do is interval training...for example...walk 10 min, then rest 2 min, then walk 10 rest 2 etc....try and keep your everyday life pysically active..if there are stores close to you...try walking to them instead of driving...or while your cleaning or doing laundry..put some music on...and dance while cleaning (this is one of my favorite things to do):embarassed: ...congrats on the weight loss:wink:
  • yorkbiz
    yorkbiz Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! I can do some walking and start with that. I know if I complicate things I will find an excuse to stop:laugh:

I'm gonna keep at it. I've been though every diet on the market. Running out of excuses and now time to "Just do it":ohwell:

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep in touch...another one of those things I haven't done (a lot easier to duck than to be accountable to anyone else)...

I'm a little curous about those big ball exercise things. If you have some experience with that, let me know how that goes.

Thanks again:flowerforyou:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    First of all, awesome job on the weight loss!!! I agree with all the posters before me. I found the easiest thing for me to do was just get up and go for a walk around the block with my husband when I first started. We would both be huffing and puffing when we got home, but now, just a month later, we go on two mile, sometimes three mile walks every other night! It's a really easy way to get up and get moving. Plus, it really helps you enjoy the nice weather out there (while it lasts. :smile: ) Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

Edit: Just saw your post about exercise balls. Those are awesome too! I sit on mine and bounce while I'm watching T.V or playing around on the internet. You can feel it in your legs, all right, if you bounce instead of sit on the couch.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options

The biggest thing you need to do is not do too much at once. Since you've been sedentary most of your life, you're more likely to hurt yourself. I agree with the interval training. If you can get 10 minutes a day for two week straight, then the third week add five minutes. Build up slowly to avoid getting burnt out. Another thing that helps me is workout videos. Follow the one "beginner" instructor for as long as you can. You will be very surprised how quickly it will come off!

:flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • sapphyre0702
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

The exercise ball is great. I really like it because it is so versatile, you can do so many different things with them. The exercise ball I got has a yoga DVD with it (by Banum) and the yoga has all different levels and it slowly builds you from a beginning to intermediate then to advanced. It really increases your flexibility and each little chapter is about 15 minutes. Also, there are lots of online resources for ball strength training exercises but I have found Shape magazine to be most helpful. Shape is different from other magazines I feel because their focus is similar to MFP, eat right, stay healthy and be happy. Shape every month has two different sections that could help you in your quest to start exercising. They have 30 minute to 1 hour workouts and they break it down for you and even adda playlist to keep you motivated when you are working out. The other section is all strength training exercises and many of them have the exercise ball and I find that you can do most of them with an exercise ball, free weights and a bench or a couch (for arm lifts which I find so helpful).

I hope this helps and good luck! You can do it!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I have about the same amount to lose as you do, and I started off bicycling because that was something I used to love to do so much when I was younger. The first week, I could barely go 5 miles and that took almost 90 minutes. But I stuck with it, got a better, wider, 'hornless' seat, and almost two months later have worked up to 10 to 15 miles a day. i just got back in fact from a 14 miles ride this morning that took an hour and 10 minutes.

Anyway, you might try biking--uses more calories than walking!