Half Marathon - continuous or 10/1?

Options
Training for my 5th half marathon, my first after a hip injury. In the past I have always run the entire race continuously. After my injury and at the advice of my physio, I've worked my way up to 10 and 1's instead of continuous running. I'm finding I actually prefer 10 and 1's and am considering running this way on race day. I'm wondering how many runners race this way? Curiosity really.

Replies

• electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When racing (and training) I run continuously but I see many people doing run-walk ratios during races. I think it comes down to what each individual prefers and what works for you.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    What electriq said. =) I've even seen pace groups employ walk-run strategies.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always ran continuously until I started marathon training. My uncle, and avid marathon and dr of physical therapy, trains with walking breaks and highly recommended it! I like you, walk for 1 min, then I finish that mile roughly 8-9 mins of running. I don't walk until mile 3, just a preference! I trained for my race and ran that way and enjoy it. I still now will run walk on most of my runs!
  • Josh_2099
    Josh_2099 Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Typically I will run continuously through the course unless my body tells me otherwise. For some of my training I will walk/run if that is what what I am feeling. I heard it's a really good method for training. I have seen some other runners on a course who walk and end up around the same time as me anyways.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at a 3:1. I have no desire to run 13.1 miles without walking, but I am working on getting my run interval longer. I don't see a day that I won't take a walk break though.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Typically if you can sustain anything greater than an 8min run:1min walk interval during training, you will be able to essentially run the race continuously due to race day adrenaline. However, that is also assuming that you probably won't be truly running your water stops.

ETA: Both halfs that I have completed, I ran the first 6-8 miles "continuous," only walking/slow jogging through water stations. I usually hit a wall, probably due to lack of training, after about 8 miles and switch to 5:00/1:00 or whatever my body feels like for the remainder of the race.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have never walked during a half. I even carry my own water (I like to drink on my own schedule) and run through the water stops. I've seen other racers doing the walk/ run intervals though. It all comes down to personal preference.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I did my 8km "moderate" run yesterday using 10 and 1's and my average pace ended up being faster than my usual continuous pace at this distance, so I think I have my answer. The race is end of October so I have lots of time to figure out my plan. Happy Friday!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    To glad I saw this thread. I am training for a half now. Race October 19th. I am doing intervals (based more on the path I use, than the time) right now on my training runs.. But I was thinking of a 10-1 or something like that plan as well.