Supposedly Losing Weight Can Be Hazardous to Your Health

2»

Replies

• Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    I had mine removed after going on a starvation diet about 5 yrs ago.....
  • I have gallbadder issues, right now. I get attacks if I lose weight too fast, so I am taking it slow. I do have to deal with some minor pain and other effects, but if i only have a 1/2 - 1 lb loss per week goal, I am ok. I can't afford to have it taken out. No insurance. I guess we all have to do what works for us.

As far as what caused it - well, its actually more hormonal than you may think. I have ate home-cooked, from-scratch food all my life, and LOTS of veggies, etc, pretty healthy. But after my 4th baby, I started having bad attacks. The Dr. told me its a common hormonal problem with women who have had several kids. or with overweight people. I actually became overweight because of it. I was so afraid of the pain if I lost baby weight, that I just made sure to eat lots. now I have started to try to lose slower, so the attacks aren't too much to handle.

please don't assume that someone doesn't care about their bodies, just cause they have health issues that you may, or may not be acquainted with...
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Wow. Definitely something to think about. I used to eat a lot of crap and have been obese for 5 years.

In September, I cut all of the "crap" food out and now I:
    A) eat significantly fewer calories than I used to
    B) eat much more nutritious, wholesome foods such as fresh fruits & veggies, whole grains, and lean protein
    C) drink at least 12-16 cups of water every day
    D) rarely eat anything with cholesterol in it
    E) eat mostly lean proteins
    F) Exercise almost every day for at least 30-45 minutes (or more)

So, here I thought I was just doing my body a favor -- which I certainly am -- but I never realized it would actually put me at risk for more problems. I just have never even thought to talk to a doctor about my weightloss. I mean, I go to the doctor when I am sick or injured, I've never even considered going to one when I'm NOT sick.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago. The gall stones were bascially caused by my diet (I've been a hefty girl all my life) but genetics probably played a role - most of the women in my family have had to have theirs removed, including the skinny gals.

I agree with everyone on one thing though - the surgery was awful (at that time they cut you open, no laproscopic stuff) but to get rid of the pain - that was so worth going under the knife. It wasn't continual pain but when you get a gallbladder attack it is debilitating!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    I had my gall bladder removed less then a year after my son was born. I don't know exactly how much weight I gained the last two weeks I was pregnant with him as I was very sick, but three days after having Grady I got on the scale and weight 215 pounds. I'm 5'3" if that gives you an indication. 9 months later I was down to the 175 range and sicker then two dogs and a cat. They ran a test and found my gall bladder was functioning at 6%. No stones, just had stopped working. So loosing 40 pounds may have played a part, I'm not sure. At that point it was probably the quickest I had lost weight and the most I had lost to date. I got it removed post haste.

Don't miss it one bit! I'm sure leaving it in the dust made these last few pounds a breeze! :wink:

Now to get that therapist... :tongue:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    I had my gall bladder removed less then a year after my son was born. I don't know exactly how much weight I gained the last two weeks I was pregnant with him as I was very sick, but three days after having Grady I got on the scale and weight 215 pounds. I'm 5'3" if that gives you an indication. 9 months later I was down to the 175 range and sicker then two dogs and a cat. They ran a test and found my gall bladder was functioning at 6%. No stones, just had stopped working. So loosing 40 pounds may have played a part, I'm not sure. At that point it was probably the quickest I had lost weight and the most I had lost to date. I got it removed post haste.

Don't miss it one bit! I'm sure leaving it in the dust made these last few pounds a breeze! :wink:

Now to get that therapist... :tongue:

Got that right! Get that therapist, girlie! lol Speaking of....... Is Grady's iPad going well? I saw him using it in your blog video! It was so cute!!!
This discussion has been closed.