Best Fitness Magazine for Women?

Options
I'm looking to subscribe to a fitness magazine that helps motivate me and keep me focused. I think it will especially help in the long run.

I have 100+ lbs to lose and would like one that focuses on weight loss, not maintenance. Something with women of all shapes and sizes, not just small framed women and not celebrity focused.

I'm considering Shape, Women's Health, and Oxygen. If you subscribe to any of those and can give me more info about them or can make a recommendation (even towards a different one) that would be great!

If you are familiar with Oxygen can you tell me if there are a lot of ads, because that's what I've heard and I don't think I'd like that.

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I get Self magazine (my mom had points from her diet coke bottle tops... haha). I've found it useful and has a variety of information. It's not 100% focused on weight loss, but more being healthy and happy in general. I'm definitely going to renew it when the free year is up.
  • dk82
    dk82 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like Shape and Self.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I got Self for many, many years and thought it was a pretty good overall magazine that dealt with health, overall fitness and just life in general.

A lot of magazines just have too many ads for me these days though, so I scour them online and save money/trees by doing so. I do get Runner's World though, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for!
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    SHAPE! inspires me every month,
  • sxybori5
    Options
    I like Woman's Health
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    my faves are:

Shape
    Oxygen
    Inside Fitness (canadian magazine with people I know - LOVE IT)
    Fitness Magazine
    Iron Magazine
    Status Fitness Magazine
    Fitness RX for Women

I used to rip out all the pictures of the girls I wanted to be like and put them on my walls at my mom's :P
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I had Self didn't feel like it focused enough on Fitness for my tastes, I love Shape and know that i am getting a subscription for Christmas!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I get Women's Health. It has pretty good articles, but sometimes gets into the same junk that you would find in Cosmopolitan.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    OMG I subscribe to just about every woman's health and fitness magazine out there...Shape, Self, Fitness, Health, Woman's Health, Oxygen, Clean Eating, Womans' Muscle and Fitness...I love them all for different reasons.

My favorite is Oxygen though because it's centered around building your best body through clean eating and exercise. The advertisements are minimal and the information is really interesting whether you're training for a fitness or bodybuilding competition or are more of a recreational exerciser (like I am). Plus it's motivating to read about real women who have focused on using these principles to achieve results.

Sharon
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I love reading Shape and Self...they're both really good!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to women's health...i like it...oxygen is more a push for everything tosca reno sells so it's a little hard to buy into. women's health is for every day women i find...i like shape too but women's health is my favorite
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Can you describe why you like the magazines a little more? That would really help me out! Leaning towards Shape right now.
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    OXYGEN - THE OTHERS ARE ALL FLUFF!! EAT CLEAN, EXERCISE HARD, IT WILL HAPPEN. LOVE TOSCA RENO THE EAT CLEAN DIET BOOK TOO.
  • dk82
    dk82 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Self is has stuff about fitness, health and weight loss along with other stuff. Shape is more about fitness, health, and weight loss with out the other stuff. I would say go with Shape, check out their website and see what you think.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Shape is great! I love all the success stories they feature. I think this starting with their next issue they will feature a woman every month in the magazine who is trying to lose weight. They tell of her struggles and how well she is doing.. I love catching up on those. Also, there is usually 2 or 3 more pages of success stores. They give you exercises and tips on hair and makeup, being happy, etc. I don't really need those tips as I'm more concerned with fitness and weight loss, but they're good non the less.

Oxygen is awesome. It is full of clean eating recipes and muscle building/fat loss workouts - which is its only focus. There isn't anything about what outfits or makeup to wear, etc. which I like.

Self is good too. Like someone else said it focuses on happiness and well being over all.

Fitness is a good read. But like a combo of shape and self only shorter. (But hey, my annual subscription is only $5! Can't beat that!! :smile: )

I did subscribe to Women's Health,, but I got to where I wasn't as interested in it. However, don't take my word for it.. buy a few and see which ones YOU like best and subscribe.
  • MonicaS29
    Options
    OXYGEN is the absolute BEST women's fitness magazine around! It is very inspiring and everything is based around eating clean and being fit and healthy. LOVE IT! It is true that you realize the rest of the mags are filled with fluff after reading an issue of Oxygen.
  • marindak
    marindak Posts: 168
    Options
    I get Shape and I love it! Fitness is good too - less info and more geared toward hardcore workouts and people that are already in shape it seemed like. I also love Self but its about overall wellness.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I prefer Oxygen also because it doesn't have all the fluff - it's strictly clean eating and exercise. When I am reading a fitness magazine, I don't care what kind of eye shadow looks good with my eye shape or what hair styles are in or how to dress to go from office to after hourse, etc. - if I want that info, I'll go get a Cosmo!!

Women's Health does have some good info as well - but again, much potential for fluff and I sometimes think they water-down the exercises - so I admit that sometimes I read Men's Health just because they feature more hard-core exercises! For general health, I like to read Prevention magazine.

But if I had to choose just one: Oxygen. Hands down.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Self magazine the most, mainly because it not only includes effective workout ideas, but also the latest medical news and it has in-depth articles on a wide variety of health topics that concern women. I also find the success stories motivating. A lot of people like this one because it also has beauty pointers as well, but it's not my thing.*LOL*

I also have Shape and Fitness. These are more fitness oriented and have less of the fluff, but I don't think they are as substantial in terms of what you get for the money... they tend to be thinner and a shorter read for what you pay. Still, they are set up very similarly to Self, so I still enjoy subscribing to them.

Maybe you should go out and buy a copy of each magazine to see what they're like and get more of idea of what best suits you? I know there are some magazines that are more specifically for people trying to muscle train, but I'm not into that. I don't want bulging muscles, I just want to look toned.*LOL*

Shannon