Whoppie Pies

DHalaby73
DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I got this recipe from Cooking Light enjoy..Satisfy the biggest sweet tooth with these delightful little snacks.

Yield: 3 dozen

Cost per Serving: $.12

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup milk
Preparation
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

Make cakes: Sift flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda and salt together into a bowl. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and beat at medium speed until fully incorporated. Change mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients, alternating with milk, mixing until just blended.

Drop batter 1/2 Tbsp. at a time and about 2 inches apart onto each sheet to make 18 cakes per baking sheet. Bake for 7 minutes, until mini cakes are springy to touch. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to racks to cool completely. Change parchment paper and repeat to make 72 cakes.

Match cakes in pairs so tops and bottoms are similar in shape. Spread bottoms with cream filling and cover with top.

For Cream Filling, combine 1 stick of unsalted butter and 1 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar in a bowl and beat at low speed until blended. Then beat at high speed until mixture is fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract and 2 cups marshmallow cream; mix at low speed until blended well. (Makes 2 1/3 cups)

Nutritional Information
Calories:
Fat:
6g (sat 3g)
Protein:
1g
Carbohydrate:
21g
Fiber:
0g
Cholesterol:
21mg
Sodium:
93mg

Replies

• bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    I can vouche for these pies-- they are good. Been making them for a few years-- everyone loves them.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Thanks so much!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    OMG thank you...i only ever have whoopie pies when i am in maine on vacation from Moody Diner in Waldoboro but i have always wished i could make a better for me one to enjoy when i am not home....can't wait to try this out.....
  • Yummy new desert to conquer sounds amazing SMILES
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Sounds yummy! Is it one pie per serving of 136 calories?
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    They've got to be a miniature version of what my mother in law makes. I can't say I've ever considered them to be "lite," but they are really good.
  • DHalaby73
    Yes it would be one pie...
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you! My kids like the full fat ones so I always have to try not to eat them. This sounds like a wonderful alternative.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I imagine you can change more of the all-purpose flour to whole wheat flour (1/3 all-purpose: 2/3 whole wheat) and at least half of the butter to applesauce and have them be a delicious and more nutritious treat!

Thanks for sharing!
  • DHalaby73
    your welcome I love them too that's why I was happy to find a light version...Yes you can substitute the flour for whole wheat flour I do that all the time...
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    I'm making these for christmas dinner at my mother in alws!!!!! So excited!
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Bump for later. Thanks for the recipe.
  • DHalaby73
    your welcome
This discussion has been closed.