newly lactose intolerant

Options
lutzsher
lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
I've just discovered that I am quite lactose intolerant.
Im not really happy about this discovery either. I have really "tweaked" my food plan and eat very clean now and rely on the calories and fat in dairy products to ensure I get to my calorie goals each day.
This had thrown a bit of a wrench in my usual food comsumpion. I do like avacado and nuts, so have made sure to incorporate servings into my plan now . . . but still have days were I have a tough time getting to 1200 calories.
I certainly appreciate being able to live and function without severe stomach pain and bloating but am in an adjustment period right now, trying to think of other ways to get in my calories and micronutrients.
Just when you "think" you have things figured out and are on a roll it is time to reevaluate it all and change the "plan" . . . .

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    It gets a lot easier, there are a ton of foods that are non-dairy. Soy milk/Almond milk really helps in the cereal department, and breyers makes a lactose free ice cream. There are lactose free cheeses now. It's not that bad actually.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. That is no fun. It is quite common, however, to become intolerant of foods when we start eating a certain way and omitting/adding foods. Good luck to you and I am glad your tummy feels better!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It gets a lot easier, there are a ton of foods that are non-dairy. Soy milk/Almond milk really helps in the cereal department, and breyers makes a lactose free ice cream. There are lactose free cheeses now. It's not that bad actually.

Lactose free cheese! That is awsome news . . . cause Im a former "cheese-a-holic" and really looked forward to that one ounce serving! I am already used to rice milk as I don't like black coffee and could not even drive to work safely without my morning cup!
    I keep reminding myself that the "silver lining" is better health.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary if you want some ideas. I am allergic to all milk products so everything I eat is not only lactose free, it's entirely dairy free.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've been L.I. for about 8 years now, started when I was a vegetarian (the same enzymes that break down meat also break down dairy)...I had a hard time adjusting too...I love almond milk because it doesn't have a gross after taste like soy milk...and i like the veggie soy cheese slices. When I eat nachos i use the "soy loaf"...and in the organic section of most grocery stores there's soy yogurt (i'm not a fan just because they usually only have strawberry or some other gross fruit flavour, they haven't come out with vanilla soy yet)...i suggest looking down the organic isle and superstore (Canada) has an entire grocer's freezer dedicated to shanghai noodles, tofu and soy cheese. Good luck! it's not fun but there are alternatives...READ YOUR LABELS! the higher up the list cheese is, the more likely it will affect you.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary if you want some ideas. I am allergic to all milk products so everything I eat is not only lactose free, it's entirely dairy free.

me too, not even a sip of dairy in my diary
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I've been L.I. for about 8 years now, started when I was a vegetarian (the same enzymes that break down meat also break down dairy)...I had a hard time adjusting too...I love almond milk because it doesn't have a gross after taste like soy milk...and i like the veggie soy cheese slices. When I eat nachos i use the "soy loaf"...and in the organic section of most grocery stores there's soy yogurt (i'm not a fan just because they usually only have strawberry or some other gross fruit flavour, they haven't come out with vanilla soy yet)...i suggest looking down the organic isle and superstore (Canada) has an entire grocer's freezer dedicated to shanghai noodles, tofu and soy cheese. Good luck! it's not fun but there are alternatives...READ YOUR LABELS! the higher up the list cheese is, the more likely it will affect you.

I got Silk Vanilla soy yogurt last week at the grocery store, but they only had it in a big tub. It's decent - I have never been a big yogurt fan and there is a lot of sugar in it, but it is good in smoothies.
  • lilRicki
    Options

I got Silk Vanilla soy yogurt last week at the grocery store, but they only had it in a big tub. It's decent - I have never been a big yogurt fan and there is a lot of sugar in it, but it is good in smoothies.

I use that tofu desert stuff...the really mushy stuff...I think it's disgusting by itself, but it takes the place of yogurt in my smoothies...and it's a lot less sugar than yogurt...but i'm definitely going to look into the Silk stuff because i want to try yogurt and granola
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant to and have found that not all dairy bothers me....milk is definately out so I use lactose free. As cheese ages it loses some of its lactose so try aged cheeses. Also the sargento light string cheese doesn't bother me and satisfies the cheese cravings. Good luck!