can anyone tell me???

my pops is sick and is super skinny. is there any fatty food that can fatten him up, but not be a problem for a borderlined diabetic? also, hes on heart meds and blood pressure meds. if anyone knows, please let me know.

Replies

• my pops is sick and is super skinny. is there any fatty food that can fatten him up, but not be a problem for a borderlined diabetic? also, hes on heart meds and blood pressure meds. if anyone knows, please let me know.
  • fessler
    fessler Posts: 23
    I would just try to get him to eat 200 - 250 every 2.5 hours. Make sure it is not high in sugar or sodium...but just try to get him on a regular eating schedule so his blood glucose can stay at a constant level.

Good Luck!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    With serious health consequences like this, I would talk to a doctor. You don't want to give him the wrong thing and make it worse, despite the great intentions of everyone on here, unless they have a medical license or at least a certificate in nutrition, I wouldn't want to risk something so serious. Good luck, I hope your pops gets better real soon!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I am not sure on your pops for sure. I know from personal experience that when my pops was not well he preffered his old favorites like clam chowders and stews. We also used things like ensure since he was not willing to eat solid food.

On another subject though my husband is diabetic and we nearly lost him due to aspartame poisoning. So do be careful it does happen and since he is borderline diabetic it is something to be aware of. Alpha Lopic acid is great for helping to stabilize blood sugars but it doesn't combine with a cinnamon regimine if he is doing that.

Hope this helps.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Yeah…all of what Banks said.
    Do give the doctors office a call. The nurse for sure can look at your pops chart and give you some ideas as to what to feed him.
    I have had to do that for my brother-in-law before. If nothing else call the hospital and ask to speak to the dietician….I have done that before also.
    I hope your pops is doing better soon.
  • lauralu
    lauralu Posts: 10
    Hey,

I'm a pharmacy student, so not 100% qualified but I do know a bit about general nutrition and diabetes. Ensure is a great supplement but is very high in sugar. I don't know if they carry Glucerna in the US, but I believe that's the sucrose free version of Ensure in Canada. If he isn't able to eat anything, a sugar-free meal replacement such as Glucerna can help keep him from losing too much weight. Beyond that, the most important thing is that he eats something, not necessarily what he is eating. Try to keep in low in sugar and sodium content so as not to aggravate his blood pressure and blood sugars.

Low sodium soups, stews and such usually have more nutritional value if they contain both meat and vegetables and may be easier for him to eat. They also contain more fluid which can help keep him from getting dehydrated if he's not drinking much. I would definitely suggest consulting a nutritionist, doctor, or nurse to help you construct a more detailed plan for him. Hope this helps :)
  • fessler
    fessler Posts: 23
    I would talk to a registered dietitian. Doctors tend to be fabulous with drugs and diseases...but horrible with health promotion.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Lol, that wouldn't shock me. My doctor doesn't even see me anymore for checkups, he passes me off to his Nurse Practicioner (who is better at it then he is anyway).