how to eat low carb/low fat food and maintain 1,000 calories

Options
Hi I am eating low carb and low fat foods, but I cant seem to eat 1,000 calories I usually eat around 700-800 calories. I was told it is not safe to eat under 1,000 calories even mfp says that each time I log my food. I am losing weight now but I don't want to hit a plateau because of lack of nutrients any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hi I am eating low carb and low fat foods, but I cant seem to eat 1,000 calories I usually eat around 700-800 calories. I was told it is not safe to eat under 1,000 calories even mfp says that each time I log my food. I am losing weight now but I don't want to hit a plateau because of lack of nutrients any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

There are three macronutrients - protein, fat and cabs. If you have low intakes of two of them then you are going to struggle to get enough nutrition and calories. Effectively you're aiming at a high protein diet, like Dukan.

Your diary isn't open and you don't say much about yourself, but from what you've said I would say make sure you're getting 80 - 100 grams of protein and don't fear fat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

you won't hit a plateau and stop losing weight...you will start losing your hair, your nails will get brittle and you will lose energy...

why low carb and low fat?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Low carb and low fat is not a good combination at all.

If you are going low carb you need to have a moderate to higher amount of good/healthier fats in your daily intake.

Not only will the fat intake help you feel satisfied it is needed for many bodily functions.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Are you under a doctor's care? It's very hard to eat low fat and low carb at the same time. It's not impossible and as Stef said, the side effects you will experience will make you quit pretty quickly.

Why not be healthy and lose weight? Why not be more content while losing?

Here are a couple of links to get you started.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Low carb and low fat? Only around 800 calories a day? 1,000 calories is not enough to sustain yourself, let alone 800 calories. You're probably going to see negative effects; hair falling out etc... TOTM?

There is no point going low fat and low carb unless you actually need to, a calorie deficit which is REASONABLE (eg 1,800) works fine... going very low with calories is dangerous...
  • jessicamoye33
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else said? Why low fat?

Fat doesn't make you fat. Your body processes carbs/sugar with insulin and the excess carbs/sugar is stored as fat. When your body is in ketosis, you become a fat burning machine. I eat a high fat/low carb diet and love it. I eat great food and feel great (mentally and physically).
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Add some healthy fats (fat doesn't make you fat, it just has more calories than protein or carbs).

Add some avacado with your protein. Cook your proteins in olive or coconut oil etc.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    can you explain the reasonning behind why the low carb low fat??
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Fat doesn't make you fat. Your body processes carbs/sugar with insulin and the excess carbs/sugar is stored as fat. When your body is in ketosis, you become a fat burning machine. I eat a high fat/low carb diet and love it. I eat great food and feel great (mentally and physically).

See, I never understood this. Excess ANYTHING gets stored as fat. If you eat above maintenance. You're no more a fat burning machine than someone eating at a deficit, getting the proper amount of protein, fats, fiber....

Carbs are energy. Unless you have a medical condition, there's nothing inherently wrong with carbs.

How you feel is important for sustainability and adherence but not everyone feels the same way. I, for one, prefer a high carb diet, as I enjoy the energy I get from it.

OP, the most important thing is getting proper nutrients. You are NOT giving your body proper nutrition from eating less than 1200. If you look at your macros and micros, I'd be willing to bet those needs are not being met. These are important for health. This is why hunger is a terrible queue for eating well.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    please be more specific. What is your macronutrient breakdown you are trying to achieve? Protein %? Fat%, Carb%.

Also, why do you want to eat low fat? A lot of fats are healthy, ie. nuts, avocado, etc. And if your goal is to lose weight then really you want to deplete the glycogen stored in your cells so that your body burns fat/protein.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    carbssss :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    you know that thing that your body runs on
    probably not a great idea to cut it out
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    bang-head-here.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    omg low carb and low fat?

get out.

go to the store and go buy real food that doesn't taste like cardboard pumped with sugar.

low fat is the worse thing to ever happen to this country. Go buy some full fat something and have at it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your body NEEDS fat. Without fat, many nutrients are not absorbed by your body. Without fat, your hormones get messed up. Hormones are very important for the proper operation of your body.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    omg low carb and low fat?

get out.

go to the store and go buy real food that doesn't taste like cardboard pumped with sugar.

low fat is the worse thing to ever happen to this country. Go buy some full fat something and have at it.

you. i like you.:drinker:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical conditions.....no need to go low carb or low fat. If you do have these types of medical issues, your doctor can give you good advice. Low fat diets for medical reasons aren't zero fat....just smaller portions throughout the day.
  • LeonXC
    LeonXC Posts: 68
    Options
    low carb, low fat, very low calories = NOT maintainable. Eventually you will go OFF this diet, and regain the weight. Please rethink what you are doing, and consider choosing a plan using normal, everyday foods. Wishing you all success.

from an experienced crash dieter.
  • CLM1227
    CLM1227 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

See, I never understood this. Excess ANYTHING gets stored as fat. If you eat above maintenance. You're no more a fat burning machine than someone eating at a deficit, getting the proper amount of protein, fats, fiber....

Carbs are energy. Unless you have a medical condition, there's nothing inherently wrong with carbs.

How you feel is important for sustainability and adherence but not everyone feels the same way. I, for one, prefer a high carb diet, as I enjoy the energy I get from it.

OP, the most important thing is getting proper nutrients. You are NOT giving your body proper nutrition from eating less than 1200. If you look at your macros and micros, I'd be willing to bet those needs are not being met. These are important for health. This is why hunger is a terrible queue for eating well.

Here's the thing no one seems to understand about low-carb/high-fat/high protein diets.

You eat what you want and lose weight because you don't WANT to eat more. Fat causes receptors in your brain to signal "I'm Full" and "I'm Satisfied" way before you've over-eaten. And it NATURALLY helps people who struggle with blood-sugar swings and cravings to be satisfied and fewer calories.

Ergo... weight loss.

On TOP of keeping blood-sugar stable and reducing appetite and cravings, it also limits how much insulin is pushed into your blood. For a healthy person, this isn't a big deal... but a lot of people with huge sugar problems have insulin resistance to go with it... not quite diabetes, but on the way there... that releases more insulin than is necessary and blocks fat burning until the insulin is gone which is far longer than the carbs are around, because the body over-responded to the carbs. Low-Carb has actually been shown to increase insulin sensitivity. So there's that, too.

If you were ever really actually curious, you could've looked it up.