Sleep too much?

Options
So here's my problem. I sleep almost all day, wake up around 2, go to work at 4, usually eat a decent meal around 6 or 8 and still go to bed around midnight, not hungry . I love sleeping but only consume around 600 calories a day because of that. Should I wake up and eat something? On my days off I workout and of course eat more, but is it possible sleeping too much will affect my weight loss goals? (ALSO I get a really bad lazy eye if I don't get enough sleep which I can't afford to have surgery on til January) that's why I also like to make sure I'm extra well rested.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go and speak to a medical professional
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So here's my problem. I sleep almost all day, wake up around 2, go to work at 4, usually eat a decent meal around 6 or 8 and still go to bed around midnight, not hungry . I love sleeping but only consume around 600 calories a day because of that. Should I wake up and eat something? On my days off I workout and of course eat more, but is it possible sleeping too much will affect my weight loss goals? (ALSO I get a really bad lazy eye if I don't get enough sleep which I can't afford to have surgery on til January) that's why I also like to make sure I'm extra well rested.

you sleep for 14 hours a day... lucky you!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Missboss888: So here's my problem. I sleep almost all day, wake up around 2, go to work at 4, usually eat a decent meal around 6 or 8 and still go to bed around midnight, not hungry . I love sleeping but only consume around 600 calories a day because of that. Should I wake up and eat something? On my days off I workout and of course eat more, but is it possible sleeping too much will affect my weight loss goals? (ALSO I get a really bad lazy eye if I don't get enough sleep which I can't afford to have surgery on til January) that's why I also like to make sure I'm extra well rested.

Please consider looking up a Sleep Evaluation Clinic/Lab in your area, to ascertain whether your duration of sleep is likely to impede your results.

You needn't disturb your sleep to eat something. Would you consider an intermittent fasting approach to eating? Your waking/working hours, fall within the intermittent fasting window. That way, you may still eat your allowable calories per day, without depriving yourself of your normative sleep time.

If you're prone to eating only once, on any given day, choosing more calorie-dense foods and changing up your cooking techniques, consciously adding more calories, where you make every calorie count for that one meal, might be more beneficial.

ETA: Correction
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ya I may have a problem. I'm addicted to sleeping.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous. I never get enough sleep, and never have the time to do so. 7 hours is a good night for me, usual is 6 :(

How old are you? I used to sleep 12+ hours as a teenager, teenagers need more sleep
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been evaluated for depression? That's a LOT of sleep....almost twice the amount that most people require. It really limits your time to actually live and experience the world around you. I would speak to a doctor about it. Being inactive is very detrimental to your health. Bodies and minds benefit greatly from movement. Your daily workout probably doesn't compensate for that much inactivity.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're sleeping your life away, go do something fun!
  • Missboss888
    Options
    I'm 25. My mom mentioned depression before but I don't think I'm depressed. I hang out with my friends often, go fishing, go shopping etc. I'm not in bed alllllllll the time. But 4 days out of the week I definitely sleep a good 12-14 hours. It'll change soon when I start school again (been on break for a year *oops*) but when I log my food people ask why I didn't eat much...and then I wondered how crazy I look saying I'm asleep all day. Lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm 25. My mom mentioned depression before but I don't think I'm depressed. I hang out with my friends often, go fishing, go shopping etc. I'm not in bed alllllllll the time. But 4 days out of the week I definitely sleep a good 12-14 hours. It'll change soon when I start school again (been on break for a year *oops*) but when I log my food people ask why I didn't eat much...and then I wondered how crazy I look saying I'm asleep all day. Lol

you're 25 and you spend more time sleeping than having a life... thats just makes me feel sad for you.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a doctor about it? There are some medical conditions that can make you tired and want to sleep all the time. It's not just depression. Things like type 2 diabetes, hypothyroidism, etc.
  • Missboss888
    Options
    Lol tavistoad no need to feel sad for me, I don't feel sad for me lol. I've had a crazy, wild last 7 years. I've had all blood work done and came back fine. But I haven't mentioned my sleeping so much because I didn't realize it til logging. I'll definitely do that next checkup!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous ...I usually get 6 hours sleep on weekdays and 7 on wkds. Hopefully it's not a medical issue though.
    Maybe eat more calorie dense foods - peanut butter, EVOO, nuts, avocado .. milkshake :)
  • Missboss888
    Options
    Just to let everyone know I went to the doctor and I had an EXTREME Vitamin D deficiency. Some pills along with a b12 shot and I'm feeling better. 6am. About to get a workout in. :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Just to let everyone know I went to the doctor and I had an EXTREME Vitamin D deficiency. Some pills along with a b12 shot and I'm feeling better. 6am. About to get a workout in. :)

YAY!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely fantastic that you sought help for this. What a great way to take care of YOU!!! Great job!
  • Missboss888
    Options
    :) I would've never thought it was a vitamin issue. But I'm OK with that. Hah