is it really important to count macros?

Options
Hi all, i am using MFP for almost 3 months now & I still confused about this whole macro-nutrient count & wanna know is it really that important ?
Let's say i don't pass my daily calories goal but get most of them from fat or carbohydrates , adding to that that i am doing 60 mins. aerobics 3 times a week..
will i still lose weight regardless of the macros ratio?!
Is it Ok !?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight if you continually consume fewer calories than you burn.

But, macronutrients are important for a variety of reasons and since MFP automatically tracks these for you, it would make sense to establish reasonable macronutrient goals and follow those, even if you follow them loosely with some wiggle room.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want, the macro I would be concerned with is protein. Getting enough protein and resistance training will help with muscle (well lean body mass) retention, which will help you get lean faster.

Generally, the people who need to track macros are the ones with medical conditions like PCOS, hypothyroidism, diabetes, etc...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i am using MFP for almost 3 months now & I still confused about this whole macro-nutrient count & wanna know is it really that important ?

Countless clinical trials show different outcomes for different macro compositions but if you do something middle of the road it probably doesn't matter. 5% protein would be a bad idea, for example, and over 35% is probably pointless.