Does drinking effect your metabolism/weightloss

Options
:flowerforyou: I was wondering if anyone knows if drinking one night per week for example white wine will mess with your metabolism? The next morning I tend to lose 3-4 lbs. and than the following day gain them all back! I'm very confused. Thanks!!!

Replies

• mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last night also! I had vodka and today I was a couple lbs lighter. I thought maybe I was dehydrated.
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Well, that makes sense. Alcohol does dehydrate you. Thanks! :smile:
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes, you were dehydrated. And while I don't think one night a week would have a huge effect on your metabolism, I do think frequent consumption would (I speak from experience).
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Like Caffiene, Alcohol is a diuretic, so as stated already it does cause you to lose water.

It is also empty calories of approx 150/drink of little to no nutritional value.

That being said, a moderate consumption of one drink per day or a couple drinks a week has been attributed to healthy liver function and reductions in heart disease / Cholesterol (Red Wine and Darker ales specifically).

In that respect, it's a matter of personal choice and if you fit it into your dietary needs without being in excess.

Cheers!
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://ow.ly/3pCvn&h=61b9f take a look at this water helps so much... to boost n when u drink any alcohol it will dehydrate you making you a few lbs lighter by morning....
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    while you can lose water weight it is very high in calories and it can actually lead to weight gain. I didn't put on weight until i started drinking. now that I have stopped i found it easier to drop pounds and then i also avoided the snacky cravings that can come with drinking
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone for the information that you provided. I don't normally drink but, in social situations. And last weekend I had 4 glasses of wine and the next morning it reflected a weightloss on the scale only to be back where it originally was the following day. I love all of the information and support that MFP provides!! I am new to this site. Just a little over two weeks now so, I appreciate all of the information and support that everyone gives. Thanks again!
  • tiggerlilly1001
    Options
    I do not drink wine or beer,