PX90 and impact level

Options
For those who have done this workout before, what would you say the impact level is on the knees. I injured my knee in the Corps and had surgery on it in 2002. Since then my doctor has recommended I not bike, hike or run.

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The toughest workout for you knees would be the one P90X plyometrics DVD. In the beginning, you may want to sub that DVD out for the Cardio X DVD. I did P90X first and didn't really have knee issues. I got knee problems during 63 days of Insanity. With P90X you're not using the legs every day. First day is chest & back, second day is plyometrics, then shoulders. There is a leg & back workout, but that is low impact. The X DVD's increased the strength in my knees.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I would agree that Plyo will be the hardest on your knees. The legs and back disc has a lot of lunge type exercises so just be careful with those and modify as you see fit.

Stay FAR FAR away from Insanity.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I agree with edorice. Give Cardio X a try first, there are a few Plyo X moves in there. See how your knees feels. Personally, Plyo X doesn't give my knees any trouble, but it is definitely hit impact with lots of squats/jump moves. Good luck!
  • rwilley35
    rwilley35 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I've been looking at this for a while now since my Regional Business Manger said he lost 15 lbs. with the program. I own a boxflex but it sits in my garage disassembled since the divorce. No room in my apartment with three kids living there. ):
  • toddgaines
    Options
    I agree with the others. I have knee issues too from years of playing rugby and football. Insanity killed me. I made it through but it was months of aching knees and just dreading the next day. I just started P90x and the Plyo isn't all that bad, nothing compared to Insanity anyway. The legs and back is a little nasty to me though. I guess it depends on what type of knee issue you have. Mine is all ligament and tendon damage, so deep lunges kill me. Where as someone with arthritis or cartilage damage might find Plyo to be much more painful / damaging. One thing I can tell you is that after losing 60 pounds I can do WAY more with my bad knees. I used to think running outside on pavement was a pipe dream, now I call that a good warm up!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I agree with edorice... my knees got stronger doing the X!!! I have bad knees from years of gymnastics.... and the X helped to make them strong again!! I havent had a knee problem since i started it!!! ;-)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    All of the moves in PlyoX, though, are shown modified by Pam the Blam. So, it can be made low impact.