Gaining advice

Options
Hi all!
So I have decided to put on some mass by eating at surplus and heavy lifting, or at least try. That is the goal here!
I was wondering, those of you who are building muscle, are you super meticulous about weighing your food? I will still continue to count calories and perhaps weigh proteins and dense items in the beginning to get a feel but I can just see myself getting exhausted with the whole thing over time, especially the amount I likely have to eat

Also, approximately how many calories am I adding to my maintenance to gain? I am still trying to find my maintenance so I am increasing my calories 100-150 per week to get there. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do or should I just jump in the deep end and add 250-300 and see what happens?
I know the initial weight gain is likely water so I don't want to be freaked out that I am gaining too fast.
Any other gaining advice??
Thanks so much everyone :)

Replies

• Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The most you can realistically expect to gain in muscle per month is about 2 pounds. It takes 454 grams to make 1 pound, so you're looking at 908 grams total. If you break that down by day, you're looking at needing to add about 30 grams of protein per day over maintenance in order to maximize your muscle gain while minimizing any attendant fat gain.

At 4 calories per gram, that adds up to about 120 calories per day of pure protein. Since it's pretty much impossible to get nothing but protein calories without some carbs and fats, you're going to wind up something over that in total calories.

I would recommend going with the "gain 0.5/lb per week" MFP setting which gives you 250 calories/day and resetting your protein macro to include the extra 30 grams per day. That's going to get you very close to an ideal "gain" diet.

(Obviously to aim a little lower and go for 1 pound/month muscle gain, you would adjust accordingly.)
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    So I have decided to put on some mass by eating at surplus and heavy lifting, or at least try. That is the goal here!
    I was wondering, those of you who are building muscle, are you super meticulous about weighing your food?

I weigh my food...but I'm a boring guy who "masters the mundane" :smile:

or should I just jump in the deep end and add 250-300 and see what happens?

This is what I am doing...then as I grow this level becomes a new maintenance level and I will lean out at that level and then I add more calories.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I weigh/measure my food.

And up my calories by about 200 calories and see how that does after a week or so.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    YES!

I 'm not quiet as fastidious about it- but I do track 3/4 of what i eat.

why?

because it's easy to short yourself- after my bulk period (which I put on 20 pounds) I realized I wasted a lot of time and didn't get the gains I wanted because I was generally across the board inconsistent and short on numbers.

Weigh- track- gain. Get swole son.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If I ever bulk again (which probably won't ever be necessary) I would count my calories meticulously; moreso than I do when I'm cutting. It's easy to go overboard when you're bulking and gain a bunch of fat because you see a pile of cheese burgers and think "Why the hell not? I'm bulking right?" and then you eat all of them and rinse it down with a gallon of milk and a case of beer and before you know it you've gained a bunch of fat with not as much muscle as you expected.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd say, yes,definitely weigh your food. I didn't - I gained in 8 weeks what should have taken me 18 weeks (9 lb) by not logging the odd wee sweetie or spoonful of peanut butter here and there.

IMO I had good results but they could have been better (cutting would theoretically have been quicker too) if I'd have been stricter with myself.

Climbing up to maintenance then sitting there for a couple of weeks is a good idea. And 0.5 lb gain a week is a good number to shoot for (+ 250 cals). You'll probably find that maintenance 'catches up with you' a few times during the course :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The most you can realistically expect to gain in muscle per month is about 2 pounds. It takes 454 grams to make 1 pound, so you're looking at 908 grams total. If you break that down by day, you're looking at needing to add about 30 grams of protein per day over maintenance in order to maximize your muscle gain while minimizing any attendant fat gain.

At 4 calories per gram, that adds up to about 120 calories per day of pure protein. Since it's pretty much impossible to get nothing but protein calories without some carbs and fats, you're going to wind up something over that in total calories.

I would recommend going with the "gain 0.5/lb per week" MFP setting which gives you 250 calories/day and resetting your protein macro to include the extra 30 grams per day. That's going to get you very close to an ideal "gain" diet.

(Obviously to aim a little lower and go for 1 pound/month muscle gain, you would adjust accordingly.)

Personally, I wouldn't change your protein goal - looks good just now IMO.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Weigh food, aim for 1g protein per lbs body weight. Start at a calorie number and stick to it. Monitor and adjust by adding 250kcals before monitoring again. The MFP numbers it gives you for adding or loosing weight are bogus
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice, weighing seems to be the most accurate way to do what I want to do in the best way. I don't like my scale that much so I guess it's time to buy a new one!

I currently have my cals set at 2700 + exercise but my weekly net calorie average is more around 2400-2500 so I have to be a little more strict on reaching that goal as best I can from now on.
    And that reminds me.. I must go eat now :)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I have one more question.
    So right now I have my calories set but I don't include exercise so I use MFP to add that. I only do cardio once a week (for fun) but I also know the calorie estimate on here is fairly inaccurate, the rest of the week I do a power-yoga style workout plus weight training. Should I just incorporate that in my overall number (I will take an average and go from there) then when I go to add exercise I just do the "1 calorie" thing or keep track on my own.
    What do you guys think? Thanks :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have one more question.
    So right now I have my calories set but I don't include exercise so I use MFP to add that. I only do cardio once a week (for fun) but I also know the calorie estimate on here is fairly inaccurate, the rest of the week I do a power-yoga style workout plus weight training. Should I just incorporate that in my overall number (I will take an average and go from there) then when I go to add exercise I just do the "1 calorie" thing or keep track on my own.
    What do you guys think? Thanks :)

Lifting burns cals, but also raises TDEE for a few hours after (afterburn, you may have heard it called), so I would include that burn, otherwise you might end up eating less than your output. Personally, I just do the TDEE method and don't bother tracking individual calorie burns.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Lifting burns cals, but also raises TDEE for a few hours after (afterburn, you may have heard it called), so I would include that burn, otherwise you might end up eating less than your output. Personally, I just do the TDEE method and don't bother tracking individual calorie burns.

Thanks! Which TDEE calculator do you recommend?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

That works. I have a Fitbit, so I just use those numbers.
  • wellguidedau
    Options
    Heyy ! If your goal is gaining more weight then you should increased your meals or add some high calories foods + fish oils + mass building foods + Max. water.