High Protein Vegan Foods

Options
I'm looking to add as much high protein foods as possible to my diet. I really want to put on weight in a good way with strength training, and I know I need to eat more protein to do so. I can't have any nuts (other than coconut) and oats at all. Any other suggestions? If possible, I'd like to stay away from the faux meats because I'm on a tight food budget this upcoming month, and I cannot justify that expense.

Replies

• Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Black beans are my favorite! Chick peas, pinto beans, actually all of the bean family! :smile:
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    http://pvpmaimai.tumblr.com/post/95854338008

Complete list which will tell you which proteins are complete proteins, which are good for pre and post working out, and how many grams per serving you can get. :)
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Also nooch has 9g of protein, 4g of fiber and 60 calories per 2 tablespoons. I put that *kitten* on everything.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Current favorite is garbanzo beans (chickpeas). A cup is 39 grams of protein.
  • mollyann34
    mollyann34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Everyone already posted about black beans, chickpeas, and nutritional yeast. (My three favorite by far!)

Normally I'll also do kale, broccoli, and zucchini since they have a few grams of protein.

I also just started including protein powders with my PB2 smoothie in the morning... I just bought Garden of Life Raw Fit coffee flavor and it's amazing... although it's a bit pricey. The Jarrow's hemp protein was grainy but cheaper.

I make my own granola bars (look on pinterest, so many different ways) or I buy an ALT bar in an emergency situation.

For my favorite treat I'll do 4T PB2, 1/2 tsp cocoa powder, and water... it's about 10 grams of protein and is wonderful for a chocolate craving.
  • mollyann34
    mollyann34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh and I just read that nuts part.. so scratch the PB2 ha! sorry!
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I compiled this shreadsheet some time ago. Cals per g Protein

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21994681/Cals per g Protein.xlsx
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat a 45g of pea protein powder every day in my smoothie. It meets most of your protein nutritional requirements except methionine. If you buy from Amazon it works out to 82 cents a day which isn't too shabby if it replaces a meal for you.
  • greenstar25
    greenstar25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite high protein vegan foods is seitan. In the health food store, it's pretty expensive, but you can make it yourself and save a lot of money. There's a recipe for it in the cookbook "Isa does it" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz but I'm sure you can find a recipe on the internet too. It takes a bit of practice to get it right (meaning, don't let it boil, just simmer). My friend and me make it all the time.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Tempeh!!!!
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    edited
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    seitan
    tempeh
    tofu
    beans
    lentils
    pea protein
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Plant based proteins are much less expensive than their animal alternatives.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Nothing in this article is referenced. It is an opinion piece thus the only thing that one can safely learn is about opinions of Rich Roll
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    OP was just asking for vegan protein sources...this website has them
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Also nooch has 9g of protein, 4g of fiber and 60 calories per 2 tablespoons. I put that *kitten* on everything.

What is nooch?? Nutritional yeast?
  • Schuekat
    Schuekat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can you have Quinoa? Good protein, good taste, relatively inexpensive.