Coconut Oil and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ukaryote the daily fats intake suggested is 80% with protein at 15% and the rest good to the best types of carbs.

I get fat from eating too many carbs calories

FTFY

I do not have to eat any carbs to be health. Since for humans carbs are optional and they are the main cause of my weight gain it is not rocket science that is what I would cut down on or stop eating to lose weight.

By that rationale, you shouldn't eat saturated or monounsaturated fat, since those are non-essential as well.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    mike_ny wrote: »
    Coconut oil is great stuff. I use it all the time for frying eggs and making popcorn. The popcorn with coconut oil tastes just like the old time popcorn that movie theaters had before the demonizing of fats in general and specifically saturated ones.

Coconut oil tastes just like the old time popcorn is really true, i feel it in the same way. The white inner flesh of the coconut is an excellent source of MCT fats that help with the functionality of the liver where the fat burning process actually begins. The antiviral property of coconut helps in the detoxification of the liver when needed. The fat content in coconut is used in enzyme production and to increase metabolism that supports in a better and effective workout.

Antiviral properties? I'm intrigued now so what are the sources that suggest it has an antiviral property and against what known pathogens? Also, How do these properties make it to the liver? Are they attached to the MCT chains that the liver deals with or are you saying that MCT themselves have some of these properties? I'm interested to know what you have on this.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is great stuff. I use it all the time for frying eggs and making popcorn. The popcorn with coconut oil tastes just like the old time popcorn that movie theaters had before the demonizing of fats in general and specifically saturated ones.

Coconut oil tastes just like the old time popcorn is really true, i feel it in the same way. The white inner flesh of the coconut is an excellent source of MCT fats that help with the functionality of the liver where the fat burning process actually begins. The antiviral property of coconut helps in the detoxification of the liver when needed. The fat content in coconut is used in enzyme production and to increase metabolism that supports in a better and effective workout.

Antiviral properties? I'm intrigued now so what are the sources that suggest it has an antiviral property and against what known pathogens? Also, How do these properties make it to the liver? Are they attached to the MCT chains that the liver deals with or are you saying that MCT themselves have some of these properties? I'm interested to know what you have on this.

Don't hold your breath. The "coconut oil cures cancer, diabetes, systemic candidiasis, and finds your lost keys" naturopaths are out strongly this week.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

Don't hold your breath. The "coconut oil cures cancer, diabetes, systemic candidiasis, and finds your lost keys" naturopaths are out strongly this week.

I would love to find those keys I lost again! ;)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    ukaryote the daily fats intake suggested is 80% with protein at 15% and the rest good to the best types of carbs.

I get fat from eating too many carbs not overdoing protein and fat. I do not have to eat any carbs to be health. Since for humans carbs are optional and they are the main cause of my weight gain it is not rocket science that is what I would cut down on or stop eating to lose weight.

Coconut oil is my choice of fat since it is 62% MCT or Medium Chain Triglycerides and gets processed directly by the liver into ketone bodies for the muscles and the brain to burn for energy.

I'm an islander from the Pacific and we use coconut oil a lot, it's also an export. I'm not seeing these magical properties that coconut zealots see. If anything our people are still dying from obesity, just like in the US.
    http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/obesity/9822039255/en/
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

I get fat from eating too many carbs not overdoing protein and fat. I do not have to eat any carbs to be health. Since for humans carbs are optional and they are the main cause of my weight gain it is not rocket science that is what I would cut down on or stop eating to lose weight.

Coconut oil is my choice of fat since it is 62% MCT or Medium Chain Triglycerides and gets processed directly by the liver into ketone bodies for the muscles and the brain to burn for energy.

I'm an islander from the Pacific and we use coconut oil a lot, it's also an export. I'm not seeing these magical properties that coconut zealots see. If anything our people are still dying from obesity, just like in the US.

Pretty sure this ends the thread...

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Pretty sure this ends the thread...

Why you say that?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

http://www.wpro.who.int/publications/docs/obesityinthepacific.pdf?ua=1

OdesAngel on page 9 of the report in the link above read under heading 6. WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF THE OBESITY PROBLEM IN THE PACIFIC? for why the obesity is an issue for the islanders.

It talks about less manual labor, walking, etc but the big thing is the diet has changed from local food stuff towards an import western high fat diet. Local vegetables, fruits and root crops foods have decrease while imported mutton flaps, turkey tails, vegetable oils and fried foods have risen. High intake of alcohol, soft drinks and confectionery may also contribute to the problem.
    Corresponding with a fall in local food production, imported foods comprise
    between 30 and 90 per cent of all foods eaten in the Pacific.

OdesAngel according to your data it looks like there may have been a decrease in coconut oil usage preceding the new health issues now facing the Pacific Islands because you all have started buying and eating our western diet and washing it down with soda pop followed by sugar based western deserts.

Look at the chart at the bottom of page 9 and look at the rate of western fats you started importing.

While this is sad this has happened to a good people it does support that the SAD (Standard American Diet) is a killer of a population that had enjoyed better health before moving to the SAD. Vegetable oil we know is not as healthy as coconut oil.

On a plus note hopeful the islands are getting to sell more coconut oil as usage rises in the USA we read.

Coconut oil is NOT magic but it is good for humans. The same claims can not be made for vegetable oils today. We are not just killing ourselves but we are killing off other populations with our diets that may not have the health resources we now have with national health care.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

OdesAngel on page 9 of the report in the link above read under heading 6. WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF THE OBESITY PROBLEM IN THE PACIFIC? for why the obesity is an issue for the islanders.

It talks about less manual labor, walking, etc but the big thing is the diet has changed from local food stuff towards an import western high fat diet. Local vegetables, fruits and root crops foods have decrease while imported mutton flaps, turkey tails, vegetable oils and fried foods have risen. High intake of alcohol, soft drinks and confectionery may also contribute to the problem.

OdesAngel according to your data it looks like there may have been a decrease in coconut oil usage preceding the new health issues now facing the Pacific Islands because you all have started buying and eating our western diet and washing it down with soda pop followed by sugar based western deserts.

Look at the chart at the bottom of page 9 and look at the rate of western fats you started importing.

While this is sad this has happened to a good people it does support that the SAD (Standard American Diet) is a killer of a population that had enjoyed better health before moving to the SAD. Vegetable oil we know is not as healthy as coconut oil.

On a plus note hopeful the islands are getting to sell more coconut oil as usage rises in the USA we read.

Coconut oil is NOT magic but it is good for humans. The same claims can not be made for vegetable oils today. We are not just killing ourselves but we are killing off other populations with our diets that may not have the health resources we now have with national health care.

I think you missed the tenfold increase of chicken consumption. But then it wouldn't lend itself to your discussion points. Also research taro production just for sharts and goggles. You may also want to research how/why cheaper food sources came to the islands.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Logging my food and working out are two things that have helped with my weight loss. I am leery of any claims of weight loss from consuming coconut oil.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Where does it say they decreased coconut oil consumption? They are eating Western food and island food, still using coconut oil AND coconut products (way more than the average westerner I might add) and still getting fat. Way to miss the point though.

Overconsumption. No matter how much you think coconut oil is superior, it will not counteract overconsumption.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

At the expense of burning body fat and other dietary fat.
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/08/all-roads-lead-through-krebs-true-keto.html

"Case in point, the medium chain triglycerides, aka MCTs. Coconut oil and CO derived MCT oil (the shorter of the MCTs) are favorites for the ketogenic crowd. For good reason, because if ketones are the objective, these will force your liver to make them, pretty much regardless of one's nutritional status. MCTs are metabolized preferentially in the liver as we have no mechanisms to elongate these for storage from this starting length. This rapid acetyl-CoA production exceeds the capacity of Krebs and ketones are produced and sent out into circulation for use elsewhere. When this happens, long chain fatty acid oxidation -- aka from body fat or other dietary fats -- is reduced."
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There are NO magic foods. All claims are based on anecdotal evidence, minutia, or bad science.

IMO

If you replace trans fats and some seed oils with coconut oil, you will be better off.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2014/08/all-roads-lead-through-krebs-true-keto.html

"Case in point, the medium chain triglycerides, aka MCTs. Coconut oil and CO derived MCT oil (the shorter of the MCTs) are favorites for the ketogenic crowd. For good reason, because if ketones are the objective, these will force your liver to make them, pretty much regardless of one's nutritional status. MCTs are metabolized preferentially in the liver as we have no mechanisms to elongate these for storage from this starting length. This rapid acetyl-CoA production exceeds the capacity of Krebs and ketones are produced and sent out into circulation for use elsewhere. When this happens, long chain fatty acid oxidation -- aka from body fat or other dietary fats -- is reduced."

Sounds like the same thing as when you eat carbs, doesn't it?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Sounds like the same thing as when you eat carbs, doesn't it?
    Exactly :wink:
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil as well as the milk.
    Both are great - great but not magic. I highly recommend coconut oil over most anything else for cooking or even frying. Just remember that our results still come from hard work related to proper diet and exercise. Without effort in training and food intake, use whatever oil you can get. It won't matter much...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have completely changed my eating habits and added exercise as well as adding coconut oil. I was just wondering if the coconut oil was helping with the abdominal fat loss and a filling of fullness. My calorie count daily is way down compared to two years ago and since I started with the coconut oil, I was wondering if that was why i struggle to eat at least 1200 calories a day. These are all good comments everyone is leaving! And yes, I have curly hair and coconut oil works really well in my hair. I'll continue as I'm doing and will start back with trying Oil-Pulling again with Coconut Oil.

It is possible that it is helping to curb your appetite, but it's not some magical product that burns belly fat...despite what you might find on the internet. I say it could help with curbing your appetite based purely on my own experience with adding healthy fats in general (I find the same with avocado, for example).

Don't get me wrong, I love the taste of unrefined coconut oil and cook almost everything in it and I use it as a moisturizer and eye makeup remover. I even feed it to my cat (as suggested by the vet) and she loves it too - I've noticed a difference in her fur and energy levels. But eating it by the tablespoon isn't going to magically help you lose weight. (I'm not saying you are - my cousin thinks she can lose weight by eating it by the tablespoon without changing anything else. She drives me insane sometimes.)

Anyway, enjoy the coconut oil!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

BAZINGA!

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Off topic but I noticed OP was flagged twice. Are people thinking it is a "like" button???