CNS Rest Period?

Options
2»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    After a high volume session, how long is a "safe" rest period for the CNS?
    Your CNS* never rests. If it did, you'd be dead.
    Even when you're asleep, it's working.
    (Ditto for the PNS.)
    Nerves repolarize almost instantly (in healthy people).
    To give an example: Yesterday was a hard, high volume lifting session.
    Would yoga, rock climbing, or some other non-load bearing workout impact the CNS recovery?
    For weightlifting, you're not supposed to work the same muscles more than once every other day. Having 2 days of rest is good too.
    But the nerves? Doesn't matter.

* brain & spinal nerves
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This IS a really complicated question.

Dan John gives some examples of appropriate rest in the book "Easy Strength".

Runners recommend one day of COMPLETE rest each week for full recovery.

But a lot of people violate that all the time, and I have no idea on the actual research.

Sorry I can't be of any actual help.

I figured it was a question the size of the Rock.

One reason it came to mind is that I'm ramping up my lifting volume, and intensity. Will my yoga, swimming, and climbing have negative effects on my CNS improvements?

Probably. Anything that stresses the body is going to have an effect, however small. It's one of the reasons I stopped doing all forms of cardio, it wasn't allowing me to maximize my lifts.

How much it affects you is going to be based on your age, your genetics, your food intake, hormone levels, intensity of workouts, everything.
    jimmmer - that makes a lot of sense. Reason the question came to mind was the deadlift item in the other thread. I'm currently deadlifting once a week, either for reps, or for weight. I'm planning to up that to 3x per week, once for weight, 2x for reps. Some weeks it might be 2x for weight, 1x for reps.

Essentially, if going down to the basement of my house and back up gets hard, I know I'm on the way to fatiguelandia, and should tone it back a bit.

My assumption though would be that muscular fatigue will occur prior to CNS fatigue.

You're welcome to try DLing 3x a week but the wheels are probably going to fall off of your training sooner or later. In the beginning I liked DLs a lot so I started training them 2x a week. It went fine for a month or two, and then my lifts started plateauing. And then they started going backwards. I switched back to 1x a week and everything was fine. 3x a week would put me in a wheelchair. You're talking about the most stressful lift there is. I'm thinking you will probably regret it but sometimes you have to figure these things out for yourself.

Crap, at some point I realize I will probably have to DL 1x every other week. But I'm oldish and my DL is fairly heavyish.

hate to disagree there chief, but i'm fairly certain that we all came to the conclusion in the Hugh Jackman thread that deadlifting up to 5x weekly not only did not negatively affect lifts/mass/cns, but also that it was the OPTIMAL way to train and that all the successful bodybuilders and powerlifters did it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

But a lot of people violate that all the time, and I have no idea on the actual research.

One reason it came to mind is that I'm ramping up my lifting volume, and intensity. Will my yoga, swimming, and climbing have negative effects on my CNS improvements?

Probably. Anything that stresses the body is going to have an effect, however small. It's one of the reasons I stopped doing all forms of cardio, it wasn't allowing me to maximize my lifts.

How much it affects you is going to be based on your age, your genetics, your food intake, hormone levels, intensity of workouts, everything.
    jimmmer - that makes a lot of sense. Reason the question came to mind was the deadlift item in the other thread. I'm currently deadlifting once a week, either for reps, or for weight. I'm planning to up that to 3x per week, once for weight, 2x for reps. Some weeks it might be 2x for weight, 1x for reps.

Essentially, if going down to the basement of my house and back up gets hard, I know I'm on the way to fatiguelandia, and should tone it back a bit.

My assumption though would be that muscular fatigue will occur prior to CNS fatigue.

You're welcome to try DLing 3x a week but the wheels are probably going to fall off of your training sooner or later. In the beginning I liked DLs a lot so I started training them 2x a week. It went fine for a month or two, and then my lifts started plateauing. And then they started going backwards. I switched back to 1x a week and everything was fine. 3x a week would put me in a wheelchair. You're talking about the most stressful lift there is. I'm thinking you will probably regret it but sometimes you have to figure these things out for yourself.

Crap, at some point I realize I will probably have to DL 1x every other week. But I'm oldish and my DL is fairly heavyish.

hate to disagree there chief, but i'm fairly certain that we all came to the conclusion in the Hugh Jackman thread that deadlifting up to 5x weekly not only did not negatively affect lifts/mass/cns, but also that it was the OPTIMAL way to train and that all the successful bodybuilders and powerlifters did it.

So, it's been peer-reviewed you say? Catch you later in my new wheelchair.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I thought that it had been decided that deadlifting 1 x a week (or maybe it was deadlifting at all) makes you lose all your gainzzz and wrecks your CNS (irregardless of the weight or volume you are pulling) and that ONLY PL'ers did it at all.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ah, you might be right. I got all turned around in that thread and couldn't figure out which way was up
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    As had been already said, it is highly individualistic. I actually think it is a moot point what gets fatigued. If your routine allows you to progress less in the long run than a less aggressive (or more aggressive one for that matter), then its not the best routine. And progress obviously depends on goals.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I currently pull 2 x a week - one heavyish and one light'ish day. Neither day goes above 90%, 2 reps or a total of 6 working sets.

The only time I max pull is at meets - and after that (which would be a combo of all lifts plus generally being knacked as they go on all day), I am pretty much toast for a good 2 weeks (and usually longer for deads). No idea 'what' is fatigued, I just know I am pretty much treading water for a while. Then again, I am old!

Personally, I would not recommend 2 heavy days a week, but as I mentioned, everyone is pretty individual with this and it may *work* for you - it really depends.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Ah, you might be right. I got all turned around in that thread and couldn't figure out which way was up

We could both be right. You have to either do them 5 x a week or once a month and it's if you are anywhere in between that you are doing it wrong!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    (Ditto for the PNS.)
    Would yoga, rock climbing, or some other non-load bearing workout impact the CNS recovery?
    For weightlifting, you're not supposed to work the same muscles more than once every other day. Having 2 days of rest is good too.

* brain & spinal nerves
    Um, it's not about repolarizing the neurons. It's about the adaptations that happen. Those adaptations don't happen instantly.

And I'm pretty sure I've overtrained via too much volume and CNS under-recovery, because the results feel different from when your muscles are beat up. It's hard to describe but you feel weak/exhausted before you even try to use muscles, and it happens to muscles you didn't even work, like having a super-weak bench press after a squatting session a day or two before.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I thought that it had been decided that deadlifting 1 x a week (or maybe it was deadlifting at all) makes you lose all your gainzzz and wrecks your CNS (irregardless of the weight or volume you are pulling) and that ONLY PL'ers did it at all.

Bloody hell, this is why we can't have anything nice!

Looking at the bar counts a deadlift right? And half reps are cool....

I kid.

Maybe I'm looking at the lift wrong, and it might make more sense to instead of focus on moar dl volume, to learn and break myself on the clean.
  • dbmata
    Options

We could both be right. You have to either do them 5 x a week or once a month and it's if you are anywhere in between that you are doing it wrong!

Why not both?

5x a week, once a month.
  • dbmata
    Options
    (Ditto for the PNS.)

* brain & spinal nerves
    Um, it's not about repolarizing the neurons. It's about the adaptations that happen. Those adaptations don't happen instantly.

And I'm pretty sure I've overtrained via too much volume and CNS under-recovery, because the results feel different from when your muscles are beat up. It's hard to describe but you feel weak/exhausted before you even try to use muscles, and it happens to muscles you didn't even work, like having a super-weak bench press after a squatting session a day or two before.

That makes sense, also read that it affects sex drive negatively. That sounds truly horrible.