Start NOW!

Options
With the New Year approaching, I'm reading a lot about people getting "strict" with their diets come Jan. 1st. Two things:

1. Why wait? Why not start right now, this minute or the next meal, or tomorrow? Why are you waiting for another couple weeks? To make it easier on yourself? Maybe look at it this way - if you do the hard part first (like at least trying to maintain through the holidays) perhaps the rest will come easier.

2. The idea isn't to be "strict" or not - the idea is to develop LIFELONG healthy habits and behavior changes. If you are strict with yourself you'll not last that long. If you want to be committed and focused make sure you are starting something that you can stick with. That might mean one small change at a time - for example getting up right now and dumping all the regular soda you have in the house down the drain and choosing healthier drinks. Next week maybe you'll replace that sugary cereal with some yogurt and steel cut oats.

I don't mean to sound preachy but I've been doing this for a long time and I'm proud of my weight loss (248lbs over 3 years). I'm so excited about how I feel and look I want others to feel this way and be as successful. So I figured if I can share some wisdom gained by experience and help someone, then I guess its a small way to pay it forward.

Remember: IS THE CHOICE YOU'RE MAKING RIGHT NOW MOVING YOU CLOSER TO OR FURTHER FROM YOUR GOAL?

Replies

• Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your wisdom, insight and encouragement!!! I agree with you!!! I did'nt want to wait. I joined MFP and started my lifestyle change NOW!!!! I was just saying to a friend and fellow MFP user that it was a good thing that we just did it!!! We are making healthier choices starting TODAY!!! And to think that we probably would have gained weight!!

You should be very PROUD of yourself!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! Best of luck to you!
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    Good for you! That is great advice thanks for sharing.