running shoes

Options
If I wanted to do the Couch to 5K thing starting in the spring, i would like to get some good running shoes. What are some suggestions?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You should go to a running shoe store and have them find a shoe that fits your foot right, and maybe get an insole that will help the shoe hold up better and provide additional support.
    I have always had good luck with new balance
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    If you have a store that specializes in running shoes go there. They will watch you walk and decide what shoe would provide the best support for your gait. When I did that they had me try on a pair of Nikes, a pair of Ascis and a pair of Mizunos. The Mizunos were by far the most comfortable but you should try on a few different brands to find the best one for you.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I got my new balance at DSW for $35 on the sale rack. I know I should have probably had an analysis but I am cheap, um frugal, but I got a groupon and I will go to the Running Store and get it done.
    I loved couch to 5k, I like having a formula and a plan so I kept on and just finished Gateway to 8k. Now I am slacking again.
    But stick with it, and if you can't complete a workout, try it again until you can. It was so exciting when I finally was jogging for 30 minutes straight!
  • thatklutzychick
    thatklutzychick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Both AnaNotBanana and jrich1 have it right. I have knee issues when I run, but since getting fitted for a pair of running shoes, I haven't had any pain.

If you go to a running store, they don't charge you any extra for a fitting and they'll truly do their best to put you in the shoe that's right for you. Even though it takes a while if you really test out each shoe, it's way better than going to somewhere like a big-box sports store where the employees don't care about what shoes you get as long as it makes them a decent-sized commission.

With that said though, I love my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11s! It's like running on air!
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    I agree with everyone. Get your feet properly examined at a running store.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    It's so important to Get fitted. I am a huge fan of Saucony. I tried on about a million pairs and every pair I came back to was Saucony. I'm cheap too so even though I got fitted at the store I opted to buy some socks and a sports bra there and found my shoes for half price online! Yay for awesome running shoes!
  • utamore
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of my Newton running shoes but they are expensive ($200+) and require that you use a certain running style (landing on the ball of your foot as opposed to the heel). Supposedly this is the best way to run to protect your joints--I certainly have noticed less joint pain from running as a result of transitioning. If you're a newbie to running, you may consider treating yourself and starting off, pardon the horrible pun, on the right foot.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    A running store that specializes in special fit is always a good start. But don't feel obligated to "settle" for a pair because that is all they have to offer for your foot type. (Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.) Sometimes you have to try a lot of brands and models to find the shoe right for you. If no running store qualifies, go online and read about foot types: flat, high arch, normal arch, etc. It will explain about foot pronation being normal, over or under. Get wicking socks to prevent blisters. You might even need shoe inserts.

My experience in shoes was a certain type of shoe for when I was a beginner. Then when I started getting more advance, speed, hills, distance, etc. Another type of shoe. Now that I am recovering from an injury, I am ready to get a type shoe again for my beginning state. I recently learned I will have to buy shoes more often because of my arthritis in both knees. This for cushioning and the type of run I do.

Good luck on you beginning runs. Always start slow. If you get shin splits, slow down, decrease distance/ speed. So many people I know push themselves and really get injured. Injuries only set you back. Just keep patient for a long life of running. It might not sound exciting but you will appreciate in the long run.
  • platoniclover
    Options
    When I used to run, I loved Saucony and I bought them at Marshall's or TJ Maxx ALWAYS at a steep discount. I disagree with the whole "going to a specialty running store" unless you're a marathoner or you have lots of extra money to burn. You won't get anything cheaper there for sure :)
  • platoniclover
    Options
    Ooh, I also just remembered: there used to be a magazine called Runners World that helped me determine on my own what kind of shoes to buy initially. They're probably online by now.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I also just remembered: there used to be a magazine called Runners World that helped me determine on my own what kind of shoes to buy initially. They're probably online by now.

Yes, Runner's World is online and you can access it for free. They also have articles about finding the right shoe.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!