Drinking Water

Options
I have the hardest time drinking 8 glasses of water everyday. Does anyone have any tips on making it easier? I probably average about 5 glasses a day.

Replies

• gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I only like really cold water so I have to keep ice in mine.
    Try to make it a contest to see how much you can get in before lunch time and then again in the afternoon.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    ME TOOOOOOO!!

I will forget till its late in the day and then I don't want to because I have NO DESIRE to be up all night going to the bathroom.

Lately I have been trying to drink my water early in the day. I down a huge glass immediately upon waking up and then just keep refilling my glass or water bottle. I try to get the majority of my water down by 2 or 3pm. I have actually set a reminder on my phone to tell me to drink water.

It does work. I know its important - its just so hard when you are leading a busy life!!
  • Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's 8 glasses that are 8 ounces, most glasses are more than that so make sure you measure what you are drinking out of. I had a hard time at first but seeing the results and the difference it makes does make it easier. I try to make sure I drink a big glass with every meal, that takes care of 6 of the 8, and the last 2 I split up to one 8 ounce when I first get up and one 8 ounce before I go to bed.

Good luck, I hope that helps.
  • katyncal
    katyncal Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I keep ice in mine also I bought a Camelbak water bottle, it has sort of a built i straw/mouthpiece that you bite down on and then suck, for some reason I drink way more water when I use this or even a straw helps.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i got a camelback water bottle which i love. I keep it full and make sure i drink about a quarter of it an hour. Also before dinner I make sure to drink about half of one. it cuts my hunger and I always have it with me. You can also try crystal light and flavors. I love adding a slice or two of cucumber to my water.

OH and i stop drinking water around 7 to 8 at night so i can sleep through the night

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/bottles/better-bottle-75L
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    make it cold is best i can say. at my job they have an unlimited supply of little 10 oz bottles of water so i tend to drink alot more when i'm at work than at home
  • roseaguilar
    roseaguilar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ohh I sooo fit into this category as well... I try a few different things.. First i try honestly try to drink a glass before lunch and dinner... I also find if i am sitting at the office and its there on my desk then i will usually drink some of it, the one that really helps me is in the afternoon when i am tired and lazy from lunch and i feel like just drinking that 3pm cup of coffee... i will usually get warm water in my coffee cup and skip the coffee... It actually has a similar effect as the coffee... it warms me up and allowed me to stand up and move away from my desk for a little bit, its something easy to wrap my hands around and increases my water consumption...

I keep trying to trick myself into it with little tricks i read, I have heard one of the best diet tricks for your body you can do is drink a glass of water before any meal. It fills your stomach up and starts it thinking that its more full than it is and thus you wont eat as much cause you think your already a little full.. It really works on my stomach...
  • chrissy_824
    chrissy_824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about making a daily water goal. That'll definitely help me. :happy:
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Get a re-usable water bottle and keep it with you at all times. For me, I seem to drink more if it's through a straw, so I carry this bottle around with me http://www.thermos.com/product_details.aspx?ProdID=1138&CatCode=BEVG

Also, try to get in the habit of drinking 3 gulps full every time you take a drink.
  • honeybee709
    honeybee709 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    remember that they literally mean 8oz of water. an average "glass" is 16oz or more! so you might actually be somewhat on track :) I drink some water before I eat anything...even a snack. it works really well, but I also bought a Nalgene bottle and 64oz of water (which is the recommendation) is two water bottles full. If I have it in front of me instead of having to fill up a regular glass all the time, I am motivated to drink my fill!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Refill your glass or refillable bottle as soon as it's empty and keep it with you.

In the morning, I portion out my 80 ounces into refillable bottles. By the end of the day, I know I've had all my water.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Always keep a water bottle in your purse, car, on your desk at work etc. so it is the first thing you grab. Also, try herbal tea or Metromint water. They give it some flavor without any artificial sweetener.

Best wishes:flowerforyou:
  • shallott
    shallott Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day, so I brought in a 500 ml water bottle, placed it in on my desk for easy access and make sure I drink and fill it at least three times before I leave for the day. That gives me six cups of water at work then that leaves two more to take care of at home.
    One big thing to remember is that 8 glasses of water is a minimum based on your minimal daily activities, if you workout or have an active job you need to take in more water to cover waterloss during activities.
    When you drink enough water you will also find that you don't feel the "hunger" pains because most people think that they are hungry when in actuality they are thirsty or dehydrated.
  • chrissy_824
    Options
    Also, try to get in the habit of drinking 3 gulps full every time you take a drink.

That's a great tip!
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle that holds 1L which is approximately 4 8oz "servings" of water. I know if I can drink 2 water bottles worth in a day, I've had enough.

I personally find that a much easier way to make sure I've had enough mostly because I count less, and I don't need to be constantly be filling a glass etc.

Good Luck! :)
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    contigo water bottles. With the airflow vent -- they're awesome and you can chug back 24 oz easy!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For some reason I am unable to drink water out of a regular glass. So I usually drink it out of a sports bottle or a reusable plastic cup I have from a smoothie place. They both hold about 24oz and it really helps me drink enough without realizing it. Of course, 5 days a week I go through a whole water bottle at the gym, so that helps! But I just keep my cup next to me all day and I can usually get the equivalent of 8-9 8oz glasses without trying. Today I started drinking water early so I'll probably get about 12 glasses in!
  • frubjious
    Options
    I keep a litre bottle of water on my desk and have set an alarm to beep once every hour to remind me to drink. Its pretty annoying but its getting me into the habit.
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    Options
    I set a goal of drinking 15-16 glasses of water daily and I try to get it all in while I'm at work. I have an alarm set on my watch to go off at 9 a.m. to signal to me that I should have started my water drinking for the day. I have a 32 oz cup on my desk and fill it up at 9 a.m., 11 a.m. 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. If the refill time comes around and water is still in the cup, I simply drink it down. :drinker: :drinker: By the time I get off work, I have reached my goal and anything I drink afterwards is extra.

Good luck. :drinker:
  • chrissy_824
    Options
    For some reason I am unable to drink water out of a regular glass. So I usually drink it out of a sports bottle or a reusable plastic cup I have from a smoothie place. They both hold about 24oz and it really helps me drink enough without realizing it.

This will definitely help me "trick" myself into drinking more water without realizing it.