Inaccurate Labels!

Options
Recently I purchased Berkley & Jensen (Bj's) brand chicken breast in a can. I don't eat much canned food but we were going camping so it seemed easier. The can claims 12.5 ounces. When eating it, I basically got 2 servings. I had a hard time believing that I was consuming 6 ounces at a time, I was guessing, using the eyeball method of course, 3-4 ounces max!
Now back home with my scale, I opened a new can for lunch. I drained and weighed the chicken and it came put to 7.4 ounces! That is a huge difference, over 2 missing servings according to the can label!

My question is, do you find certain brands more reliable then others?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It may be more of a matter of reading the fine print - or maybe your can is missing it? The weight on the can includes any water in the can. I know the Great Value (Walmart brand) canned chicken will actually say, serving size 2 oz (drained). The whole can may be 12.5 ounces but there are only 4.5 servings of 2 oz drained so that's actually only 9 ounces of meat.
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This might seem absurd, but could the can be measured in fluid ounces, rather than weight? Seems to me that most normal size cans range from 12 to 15oz, like beans for example, but I was under the impression those were fluid ounces because they are canned in water. Or like, soup for example, can contain solids but is mostly fluid, and is most likely measure by fluid ounces.

Guess I'm not sure what dictates use of either scale of measure.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You probably eyeballed it wrong,

But I want to mention, the canned tuna that I buy gives the DRAINED weight on the nutrition label. 120g drained for the whole can, pretty much has always come up as that unless it wasn't thoroughly drained. And just grabbed a can, net weight (including water) is 170g, it also lists drained weight as 120g.

So perhaps look for cans that give the serving weight in drained oz/grams. Did this can claim 12.5oz net or drained?
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I actually weighed the can unopened and it sighed 15.6 ounces. So that is allowing for over 3 ounces of fluid. The label actually lists 6 servings of 2 ounces.

I'm only looking for more accurate labeling for buying purposes. When comparing prices I usually break the price down per serving to try to determine the better price per serving. This is obvisiouly not effective if the product isn't offering what is labeled!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've yet to find any brand that actually gives an accurate number of servings per container of ANYTHING.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Manufacturers should have to be within a certain range, kinda similar to nutritional info!

If certain manufactures tend to do this frequently I would switch brands. I'll have to pay closer attention!