How to get MORE protein

Options
ok, so I know there probably has been ALOT of post about this but I am newer to MFP and would like so help. Im finding it very hard to get enough protein into my diet and I think if I could get more, I would be losing more weight. So my question is, how do you get your daily amount of protein? I'm a very picky eater so I dont like things like yogurt,cottage cheese,beans,avacodos. Which I know is protein snacks and foods. So I need so other ways to get my protein. I know the common things like chicken,fish, nuts. And I eat those but I still dont get enough protein. Please help!!! thanks

Replies

• royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Eggs, protein shakes (I don't use whey or other forms of protein supplements but they are a good way to get added protein in)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes
    Eggs
    Peanut Butter
    Seeds (Pumpkin/Sunflower)

You knocked out a LOT of options with what you don't like. I'd say try some recipes to sneak some of those in too!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, protein powder. I tried to stay away from protein powder, but I was having trouble getting enough protein also. I don't use it every day, but I do use it quite often.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    lean beef, turkey, chicken, eggs, protein bars, protein powder (whey, casein), fish (greek yogurt and cottage cheese - although you mentioned you don't like them)..
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Almonds are a great protein rich snack food.

Otherwise try to work lean proteins into every meal. Chicken, turkey, fish, tuna, eggs, all ways to get lots of protein without much fat or calories.
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Milk, protein bars, egg whites, and tofu. Beef jerky is also a great protein source when you are on the go.
  • mbeveridge
    Options
    I know you say you don't like yogurt, but you can incorporate greek yogurt into a lot of recipes without getting the taste/texture. Vanilla is good for smoothies and baking and plain yogurt is good for more savory recipes. A protein smoothie with half a cup of yogurt, half a serving of protein powder, and whatever fruit you prefer is a great post-workout snack!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You might just need to try getting over your pickiness and at least give the foods you mentioned a try. For me greek yogurt was something that I enjoyed more as I ate it more, and now I can eat it without adding fruit (the plain flavour). You might find that you like different fat % in the greek yogurt. I haven't noticed a huge difference, but I think lower fat is a bit milder. I also really like cottage cheese now, and again the taste had to be acquired for me. I LOVE it on salmon/trout!

Otherwise. Red meat, poultry, fish, egg whites, and protein powder are good lower fat options in regards to protein:fat ratio. Whole eggs, beans, nut butters, regular cheeses are other foods that will give you protein but with either a higher fat or higher carb content.

I started out mostly eating eggs, yogurt, chicken, and protein powder. Eating chicken daily after a while (like, a few breasts a day).... I found myself deciding to try more things that I had previously decided I didn't like haha. And now I actually really like eating red meat, and I've discovered which types of red meat I enjoy more than others (I eat leaner cuts, but if someone made higher-fat burgers I'd still eat them)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    None of things you mentioned have that high a percentage of protein.

Lean meat is where it's at if you are trying to limit calories but get high protien.

Egg whites, protein powder of course, sugar free jelly (jello for the 'mercans) all have high protein to calorie ratios.
  • aroberts713
    aroberts713 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful advice. Ive tried protein powders and to me, it leaves a chalky taste/texture in my mouth. So I havent found one that I like yet. And I'm not trying shakeology because its alittle expensive for me. But keep coming with the ideas, I love it. Thanks
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Roast pork, fried chicken, beefsteak with sauteed mushrooms, pulled pork sandwiches, roast lamb, pork chops, baby back ribs, there's no end to delicious protein choices!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    anything that was once alive.

and blending protein powder into a smoothie- or yogurt is a good option.

I do plain yogurt + vanilla powder, mix thoroughly.... then I add warm blackberries/raspberries on top.

tastes like cake.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder (I usually blend it into a smoothie of frozen berries, kale, and banana)

I'm in love with About Time protein powder. I get unflavored and sneak it into various dishes. And I've heard good reviews from people who eat Trutein. Quest bars are also amazing. Just be sure to microwave them for about 10 Seconds.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Try a casein protein powder.

Also, I meant to say - protein isn't a magic bullet, I'm afraid.

If you look at the studies which cover high protein vs not in people dieting, it certainly does help and makes sense to use it as part of your weight loss strategy, but overall we're talking a few percent difference at best for most people.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to increase the portions of the proteins you like while trying to expand the options, and decrease starches like potatoes and rice which are calorie dense.

Chicken can be prepared a hundred different ways. Look up some recipes, start a Pinterest page for them, and get creative.

How about seafood? I didn't see fish listed as a pro or con, but maybe I missed it. Talapia is very cheap and packed with protein. It cooks fast and only needs a little herb/spice and/or citrus juice. Just a few minutes under the broiler. I sometimes eat 3 or 4 filets at a time.

Pork? Pork sirloin roasts are usually smaller and cheaper than tenderloins, and they're pretty lean. You can roast one up and have enough for several meals, and just present them in different ways: sliced with veggies on the side, mixed into a salad, on a wrap or burrito, in pasta or soup.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the meat (beef, chicken, pork) that you like. Cut back on something else.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm being dense, or perhaps you covered and I missed it, but...

If you know of protein-dense foods that you'll eat, why not eat more of them, perhaps just with different preparations?
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    How much protein do you think you need? How do you get now?
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    eet mor chikin
  • Gemini61088d
    Options
    Roasted chick peas. Rinse a can, spread on foiled sheet, season, roast at 400-450 F for about 40 minutes. They taste like corn nuts. Great snack too.