Quest Bars: Help a noob

Options
I've been hearing a lot about Quest Bars. I searched old topics and there isn't a lot of information other than "Quest bars are good".

- Favorite Flavors?
- Flavors to avoid? Banana nut muffin is the only flavor I'm not excited for.
- If I order in bulk, do these have a long shelf-life?
- Best place to buy? So far I've seen sale prices on GNC & Vitamin Shoppe's website.

Suggestions, discussion or haikus are appreciated!

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I've never tried them but the one thing I've heard from many people is that heating them up makes them really good.

I think they are sold on Bodybuilding.com, that and the stores you mentioned should have reviews/ratings for different flavours!
  • Stefmoray
    Stefmoray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like cookie dough flavor. You should try a couple before buying in bulk I think. They are very high in fiber and I had some digestive issues. I looked it up and most people said that that goes away after you eat them regularly. They are supposed to be a healthy protein bar.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Tons of these posts, but no worries!

Best ones are chocolate chip cookie dough and double chocolate chunk. Chocolate brownie comes a close third for me. Best when heated in the microwave for 20 seconds, and then sometimes loaded with peanut butter.

Meh ones are cookies and creme, cinnamon roll, peanut butter supreme, peanut butter chocolate, peanut butter and jelly.

AVOID banana nut muffin, so nasty. This led me to not wanting to try any of the other fruit ones.

Luckily you're in the states so you'll find them super cheap anywhere really. I freak if I find them $28 a box, and I see lots of US sites for $23 or under!

ETA: spelling.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    hands down favorite flavor of all time is the chocolate chip cookie dough :love:
    you can get them on questnutrition.com - use the code "onaquest" for free shipping! otherwise, you can get them on bodybuilding.com or at your local GNC/Vitamin Shoppe
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I like just about all of the flavors I have tried (chocolate chip cookie dough, double chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, white chocolate raspberry). I wasn't a big fan of the cookies and cream one.

The average price I pay for this is $2.39 to $2.49 per bar. I buy a handful when I find them for $2.00 a bar. (I find them at my grocery store quite often.)

Side note: the calories are listed as 160-200 calories per bar. This is only somewhat true. If you do the math though, they actually come out higher on calories than listed on the package. The reasoning? They subtract the calories for the fiber in the bars.
    For example, the cookies and cream ones are listed as having 180 calories, 7 grams of fat, 22 grams of carbs, 21 grams of protein, and 17 grams of fiber.
    7 grams of fat at 9 calories per gram = 63 calories
    22 grams of carbs at 4 calories per gram = 88 calories
    21 grams of protein at 4 calories per gram = 84 calories
    Which gives you 235 calories, but now if you subtract the fiber (17 grams of fiber at 4 calories per gram = 68 calories), you are left with 167 calories for the bar, which is close to the advertised 180 calories. Just food for thought if you're considering adding these to your daily meal plan.
  • drewba13
    drewba13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks or the replies everyone!
  • skyfit_wafflequeen
    Options
    Great info xcalygrl!! I never even thought of all that. I am a quest lover myself so this is very helpful information. I know they are already really high in sodium so I don't have these as often as I would like just b/c of that.

In regards to heating them up. I would BROIL them!! OMG the chocolate chip cookie dough is amazing broiled. I broil it for 4-5 min one side and 2 min on the other and it turns out fabulous! Tastes just like a fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookie, crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Brownie and Cookie Dough. I usually look for a sale at either GNC or Quest's website. Amazon sells them too.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    My favorites in order are below:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
    Double Chocolate Chunk
    Brownie
    Chocolate Peanut Butter
    Peanut Butter & Jelly

I REALLY wish they would make a chocolate chip peanut butter version!

I get mine on netrition.com or Amazon, or directly from the site, depending on who has the best deal. They aren't cheap, but on netrition.com, you can order by the bar until you find the ones you like enough to get an entire box.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Cookie dough is pretty good but they all have a pretty hardcore artificial sweetener aftertaste and weird texture.. IMO there are much better (and much cheaper) protein bars out there. People seem to go nuts over these though so give them a try.

If you're adventurous there are a few recipes floating around to make your own similar bars too if the cost is a problem
  • r524reed
    r524reed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cookie Dough is awesome. Also heating up for 12 seconds makes them even better. Just got back from grabbing another box myself. I have ordered them from drugstore.com and got them for 17.00 a box. Not sure how I had lucked up on that deal.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    - Favorite Flavors?
    White Chocolate Raspberry, Cookies & Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

- Flavors to avoid? Banana nut muffin is the only flavor I'm not excited for.
    I don't care for the super chocolatey ones.

- If I order in bulk, do these have a long shelf-life?
    Decent enough. How much are we talking for bulk? I buy about a month's worth at a time and they stay in good condition until they're all eaten...

- Best place to buy? So far I've seen sale prices on GNC & Vitamin Shoppe's website.
    Amazon or directly from Quest Nutrition.

They all do taste significantly better if microwaved for a few seconds.
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm in love with Quest Bars I swear....

First when I tried them I was like 'meh'. But after microwaving them and finding the flavours I really liked, I got addicted :heart: haha

My favourite are: Cookies n Creme & Double Chocolate Chunk each microwaved for 17 seconds :love:

So good !!!! I eat it like dessert and it really helps me stay on track while cutting :)
  • cs4156
    cs4156 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Why subtract the calories for Fiber?
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    definitely the chocolate chip cookie dough is my favorite, especially heated up for only like 7 seconds. Any longer than that and it melts and makes a mess. I didn't care much for the lemon flavor. but i love the chocolate brownie and the pb and jelly isn't bad either.
    I get mine at GNC but Academy sports is actually the cheapest on them that I have found, like 2.24 a bar.
    :wink:
  • drewba13
    drewba13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    each microwaved for 17 seconds

Haha, I love the precise microwave time. Not 15 seconds, not 20 seconds, but 17 - I appreciate the details!

Thanks again for all of the replies. I think I'll head to GNC to see if I can pick up a variety of flavors then buy in bulk via amazon or bodybuilding.
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    each microwaved for 17 seconds

Haha, I love the precise microwave time. Not 15 seconds, not 20 seconds, but 17 - I appreciate the details!

Thanks again for all of the replies. I think I'll head to GNC to see if I can pick up a variety of flavors then buy in bulk via amazon or bodybuilding.

haha :laugh: it also depends on your microwave ;) happy eating :)
  • PugBug20
    Options
    I have only tried a few Quest bars, but I can tell you this much: the chocolate brownie is, hands down, the BEST protein bar I have ever eaten. It tastes just like a real brownie. It always satisfies my sweet tooth! I also like cookies and cream and banana nut muffin. The only one I wasn't a huge fan of was the strawberry cheesecake. I didn't hate it, but I don't think I would buy it again. It tasted too artificial and it had a weird, grainy texture. It's hard to find the single bars in stores (I have only seen them at vitamin stores), but I would recommend buying a variety pack online so you can sample each one before you buy an entire box of one kind. They last for a while, so I don't see why you shouldn't buy them in bulk. The only bad thing about Quest bars is that they cost twice as much as most protein bars, but you can find discounts online or at GNC (they are having a buy two, get one free sale at the moment).