gaining weight after first 2 weeks of excersise and dieting

Options
2»

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    +1

You are eating more than you think. Exercise can cause some temporary weight gain due to inflammation and water retention, but certainly not 10 lbs. are you female OP? Is shark week approaching?

Also, OP certainly can gain muscle while eating at a deficit if he/she is a newb . I didn't see OP mention strength training though.
    I have been eating between 1000-1200 calories a day which is way less than I always have been eating. I have been doing at least 1-2 miles of jogging a day . I also do a little aerobic excersises . I have been doing all this for the past 10 days. My weight went up 5 pounds. I'm really stressing .
    What is happening. Please help.

are you under-eating? if your body does not get enough food it can start packing on weight

also, muscle weighs more than fat, if you never exercised much in the past, your weight will go up some, but 5 lbs in 10 days is unllikely

also, water weight can fluctuate your wegight from 5-15 lbs depending on your size. make sure you weight yourself in the morning before you eat and after a poop each time for more accurate results. My weight in the AM and my weight at night is 5 lbs different just due to food and water. Granted I'm a 194 lb male so ymmv

The first two things you mentioned are myths. The only wag to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Also, muscle is generally built while eating at maintenance or a slight surplus while weight lifting.

Water retention. Would be more accurate, but I've never in my life put on 10 pounds of water.

OP, setting aside any medical issues, you are not eating as few calories as you believe. Do you weigh your food and log everything you put in your mouth? Where do you get your calorie burns from? MFP overestimated calorie burns, as do gym machines, iphone apps, and other internet sources.

It's pretty common to eat more than you think by underestimating food intake and overestimating exercise burns.
  • mehv2
    mehv2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    +1

You are eating more than you think. Exercise can cause some temporary weight gain due to inflammation and water retention, but certainly not 10 lbs. are you female OP? Is shark week approaching?

Also, OP certainly can gain muscle while eating at a deficit if he/she is a newb . I didn't see OP mention strength training though.
    I have been eating between 1000-1200 calories a day which is way less than I always have been eating. I have been doing at least 1-2 miles of jogging a day . I also do a little aerobic excersises . I have been doing all this for the past 10 days. My weight went up 5 pounds. I'm really stressing .
    What is happening. Please help.

are you under-eating? if your body does not get enough food it can start packing on weight

also, muscle weighs more than fat, if you never exercised much in the past, your weight will go up some, but 5 lbs in 10 days is unllikely

also, water weight can fluctuate your wegight from 5-15 lbs depending on your size. make sure you weight yourself in the morning before you eat and after a poop each time for more accurate results. My weight in the AM and my weight at night is 5 lbs different just due to food and water. Granted I'm a 194 lb male so ymmv

The first two things you mentioned are myths. The only wag to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Also, muscle is generally built while eating at maintenance or a slight surplus while weight lifting.

Water retention. Would be more accurate, but I've never in my life put on 10 pounds of water.

OP, setting aside any medical issues, you are not eating as few calories as you believe. Do you weigh your food and log everything you put in your mouth? Where do you get your calorie burns from? MFP overestimated calorie burns, as do gym machines, iphone apps, and other internet sources.

It's pretty common to eat more than you think by underestimating food intake and overestimating exercise burns.

Lol yes I'm female and I think it is apporching. Is. that why??
  • mehv2
    mehv2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    .v
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2

With all due respect, you are out of line.

I specifically told the OP to consult with a doctor / dietician to determine an optimal plan. That's the best advice anyone can give anybody else on this site.

Medical weight loss is typically less than 800 calories, monitored by a licensed dietician or doctor - people on this site talking about what others should be eating, picking a number of calories without any clue that two people at the same height and weight are more likely than not to have different diet / fitness plans.

I wouldn't tell anyone to go below 1,000 calories without working with a professional - but anyone on this board that says that it is unhealthy as a generalization is wrong and shouldn't be giving medical or dietetic advice without a license.

You're still comparing medical weightloss....a VLCD... to a young op with little to lose and I'm out of line.... Dohkay.

It isn't a generalization to tell an 18 year old op with fairly little to lose that 1000 calories is far too little. You have to be careful with young members on here (especially when 18 year olds are usually 14 or 15). They'll read 700 calories is OK in your reply and that's all they'll take from it.

That is until the OP comes out and says their 4ft tall, or has some sort of medical condition that usually falls in around page 2-3 and that the OP is eating wayyyy more than that anyway.

Edit: I wouldn't consult with a GP about weight loss. They usually have a whole one semester class on diet, nutrition, and weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    RGv2

With all due respect, you are out of line.

I specifically told the OP to consult with a doctor / dietician to determine an optimal plan. That's the best advice anyone can give anybody else on this site.

Medical weight loss is typically less than 800 calories, monitored by a licensed dietician or doctor - people on this site talking about what others should be eating, picking a number of calories without any clue that two people at the same height and weight are more likely than not to have different diet / fitness plans.

I wouldn't tell anyone to go below 1,000 calories without working with a professional - but anyone on this board that says that it is unhealthy as a generalization is wrong and shouldn't be giving medical or dietetic advice without a license.
    No, he's not out of line. Advising someone to go on a VLCD, even under the supervision of a doctor, is like telling someone who is 300 pounds that it's not safe to lose more than a pound a week.

38 pounds is not that much, really, it isn't, and a VLCD would do more harm than good for someone who has so little to lose. This young lady is most likely eating more than she realizes and just needs to work with portion control.