5'9" 140ish lbs. female - Need Lifting Info

Options
BetesBitch
BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
Hi. I want to lift to reach a hard body look. I am a 33 year old female who is 5'9" and about 140lbs. I would like my belly and arms to show more muscle and have my belly flatter. How can I obtain this? How long will it take? Please fill me in experts! TIA

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    First, you need to gain muscle. To do this, lift heavy stuff, put it back down, and eat to build muscle (slight surplus of calories). A few programs: strong lifts and new rules of lifting for women.

Second, you need to reduce your body fat. To do this: continue lifting heavy stuff, eat at a small deficit to shed body fat.

How long it will take will depend on a variety of factors, like genetics.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell how long it'll take, but I can point you in the same direction I went. Check out bodybuilding.com. At the top of their website there's a find a program link. Follow the questions and check out of few of their routines. It should give you all the basics to a balanced diet and a well planned routine. My wife and sister just picked up the 12wk Jaimie Eisen routine and and have seen great results.
  • coachfeliciad
    coachfeliciad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi. I want to lift to reach a hard body look. I am a 33 year old female who is 5'9" and about 140lbs. I would like my belly and arms to show more muscle and have my belly flatter. How can I obtain this? How long will it take? Please fill me in experts! TIA

First your weight sounds good for your height. Your belly (abs) is hidden under layers of fat (not saying you are) which will have to peel off one by one. This takes time and work. Abs are made in the kitchen. Nutrition is 80%. In order for your abs to start showing you have to be within an ideal body fat range which for women can be around 10% or so up to about 15%.How long it takes depends on you and your body. Some can achieve the cut and definition they want within a few months and others can take longer. First focus on your diet. Are you eating enough? Getting enough carbs to keep your energy up? Eating lean protein? Drinking enough water? When you workout are you engaging your core at all times? Like I said just takes time and dialing things in but you can do it. Hope this helps and pm me if you have any more questions.

- Felicia
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    How long it takes depends on how hard you work and how much definition you are looking for.

As a previous poster said, bodybuilding.com has a lot of programs. Others like 5x5. I like the scooby workshop for beginners since it's done with very little home gym equipment.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Thanks! What about just continuing to eat at a deficit and lifting heavy with say StrongLifts 5X5? Will this do wonders for my belly? I know u can't stop reduce but this is really the only place on my body that has unwanted fat now.....
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Thanks! What about just continuing to eat at a deficit and lifting heavy with say StrongLifts 5X5? Will this do wonders for my belly? I know u can't stop reduce but this is really the only place on my body that has unwanted fat now.....

If you are new to lifting you should be able to gain muscle and lose weight, assuming you don't drop your calories ridiculously low. But eventually you will have to choose one, gain muscle or lose weight. (Just keep that in mind if you continue lifting).

Lowering your bodyfat will reduce your stomach pooch. I haven't seen your stomach, but usually women benefit greatly from planks. It won't make you lose belly fat, but it will tighten the stomach and area and pull it in like a corset. Do standard planks, side planks, and supermans.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    I think Im wrong on my weight. I am smaller but the scale said im 150lbs yesterday. This was on the digi scale. My dial scale at home said 143 the other day. WhatEVER! I feel good and my clothes are lose as hell :) On to build a nicer belly!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Up your protein!!!!!!

Lift heavy weights

Eat at maintenance

If you go to the gym - Kettlecise & Body pump are AMAZING!!!!