Strength Training Just Doesn't Burn that Many Calories

2»

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I've been thinking of this and wondering.... so when people post how many calories burned on the HRM when doing P90X on a legs and back exercise day, where the moves are more strength than cardio, does that mean that the calories burned just aren't what the HRM said it was?

Example - someone posted they burned 721 calories while doing check and back - but I was figuring about 291 for myself w/o a monitor just by manual calculation and PRE.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    I finally see the wisdom in this. Ironically counting my lifting was causing me to worry about not eating enough. Again...great info.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    bump for later
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,394 Member
    This looks like something I want to concentrate on so I'll have to check it out after work.

Thanks!
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Great post. I use my bodybugg to measure calorie burn and it's discouraging to see minimal numbers after strength training for an hour, which is why I sometimes skip it and go for an intense cardio session instead. I like the idea of seeing a high caloric burn after sweating my butt off for an hour. Your post is something I need to keep rereading so I stop doing that because strength training as part of an overall fitness routine is important.

Thanks
    Sharon
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Great post. I use my bodybugg to measure calorie burn and it's discouraging to see minimal numbers after strength training for an hour, which is why I sometimes skip it and go for an intense cardio session instead. I like the idea of seeing a high caloric burn after sweating my butt off for an hour. Your post is something I need to keep rereading so I stop doing that because strength training as part of an overall fitness routine is important.

Thanks
    Sharon

No, no--don't stop strength training. The whole point of the post was just to warn people not to "eat back" the elevated calories they were getting from their HRMs. Some people experience an elevated HR with strength training, so it appears they are burning more calories than they are. I have had read some reports from folks saying they were burning 700-1000 calories in a hour lifting weights.

But strength training is essential for long-term weight loss, IMO. The direct effect is only part of the equation--what happens in between workouts is just as important. With strength training, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    The closer you get to your "goal", the trickier the process becomes. It becomes harder to sustain a calorie deficit because of the imprecision of all of our measuring methods--HRM or otherwise. That 15%-20% error factor doesn't mean as much when you are 50-60-70, etc pounds overweight. At that point, you can sustain a big calorie deficit (I averaged a daily deficit of over 1800 calories/day for 8 weeks without a problem). However, when that body fat level starts to get closer to an "ideal" range, a high deficit can work against you. It is harder to maintain a smaller deficit consistently because of all the variables.

IMO, that's where higher-intensity training and more aggressive lifting (in moderate doses) need to play a larger role--at least 2x per week (but not more than 3). At the same time, counting exercise calories becomes less important.

Anyhow, looks like you have done great so far--keep up the good work.

A bit off topic I admit, but may I ask how you maintained a deficit that huge for so long!? what did it involve and how much did you weigh at the time!? Also, when you say a higher deficit can work against you when you get close to your ideal weight, do you mean it can lead to loss of lean mass instead of/ as well as fat??
    Regards,
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    [/quote]

No, no--don't stop strength training. The whole point of the post was just to warn people not to "eat back" the elevated calories they were getting from their HRMs. Some people experience an elevated HR with strength training, so it appears they are burning more calories than they are. I have had read some reports from folks saying they were burning 700-1000 calories in a hour lifting weights.

But strength training is essential for long-term weight loss, IMO. The direct effect is only part of the equation--what happens in between workouts is just as important. With strength training, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
    [/quote]

You're of course right which is why instead of doing 2 cardio workouts this morning I did one and added a strength training session to my morning workout. Thanks for the advice!

Sharon
  • binary_jester
    In your opinion is there a safe amount of calories you can count for burning?
  • bionicdiver
    bionicdiver Posts: 198 Member
    In your opinion is there a safe amount of calories you can count for burning?

There are many calculators that will help estimate the number of calories burned during a weight training workout. They will even give you the option of vigorous weight training or non-vigorous. One that I use is at this link:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm
  • binary_jester
    311 calories for 57 minutes of lifting now seems on the high side.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    311 calories for 57 minutes of lifting now seems on the high side.

For your size, not at all.
This discussion has been closed.