Gaining Muscle

Options
Pressing the Gain weight option on this then eating the amount of calories it states followed by lifting etc will result in putting muscle on right?

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Pretty much
    A caloric surplus
    proper macros
    and a progressive overload lifting program

typically leads to gainzzz

What are you wanting to do?
  • BearJ18
    BearJ18 Posts: 7
    Options
    Im new to most of this so when you talk about macros and a caloric surplus I haven't a clue however I know a tiny thing about Macros which has to do with chicken etc? Im probably wrong haha but Atm im on 5/6 meals a day including Eggs, Chicken, Brown rice, Broccoli, Fish, Oats and also started taking USN Pure Protein GF-1 and also Whey
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    MityMax will offer some awesome advice, but here are some links that can help too:

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/building-muscle.php

http://strengthunbound.com/bulking-complete-guide-for-beginners/
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Macros are protein, fats and carbs

You don't have to eat 5 or 6 meals a day if you don't want...
    I personally eat all my calories between 12pm - 8pm.

What are you hoping to do with the weight lifting?
  • BearJ18
    Options
    Im looking to gain Lean muscle, Not become absolutely massive like Arnie or someone similar to that built, If that makes sense?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Ok,
    What are your stats?

height
    weight
  • BearJ18
    Options
    5"11
    174 lbs
    Im lifting 3 times a week doing all compound lifts and a few isolated exercise's, Lost 20kg recently which is why im now looking to gain lean muscle, I also do boxing from monday - saturday, I know that will have no effect in building muscle however I thought I'd throw it in the mix
  • MityMax96
    Options
    5"11
    174 lbs
    Im lifting 3 times a week doing all compound lifts and a few isolated exercise's, Lost 20kg recently which is why im now looking to gain lean muscle, I also do boxing from monday - saturday, I know that will have no effect in building muscle however I thought I'd throw it in the mix

How long are boxing sessions?
    We will chalk those up to cardio
  • BearJ18
    Options
    2 hours
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Then since you are doing only 3 days / week right now for weights.....
    Go with a program like StrongLifts 5x5 for about 3 months, trying to go up in weight each workout.....(progressive overload).

Get your diet down:
    So for now, do 2600 calories / day
    Do this for 4 weeks, tracking things, see which way you are going....if you are pleased with how you are going then keep doing.
    If you feel you are losing weight or gaining weight.....and not getting the look you are going for, then adjust the daily calories up or down accordingly

Your macros for 2600 calories will look like::
    Carbs == 373 gr
    Protein == 140 gr
    Fat == 60 gr

Again do that for about 4 weeks, track things, take pics.....
    and then tweak if need be after 4 weeks.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Cardio while bulking = more food- so you may find yourself struggling to eat that much- in which case either dial back the boxing OR get creative with ways to shove food down your pie hole.

mhmmm pie.

or cheesecake.

ice cream + oreos = easy extra 500-1000 calories.

figure out maintance
    then add surplus.
    if you aren't gaining eat more
    gaining too fast - eat less.

So it boils down to
    eat all the things
    lift all the things.

dont' over think it- it's bulking not brain surgery. :flowerforyou:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    If you do up your calories.

Bring your protein up to bod weight so ~175 gr
    Any other calories you need, you can up carbs.....

Your call with fats, I don't do well once I get near 100 gr in fat.
  • BearJ18
    Options
    Thanks for recommending that MityMax96 I will definetly be giving this a go, I appreciate your help man, One other question.. I have recently bought USN Pure Protein GF-1 and also USN Whey, I don't know if you have used these products before, Would you be able to recommend times when to take them?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Thanks for recommending that MityMax96 I will definetly be giving this a go, I appreciate your help man, One other question.. I have recently bought USN Pure Protein GF-1 and also USN Whey, I don't know if you have used these products before, Would you be able to recommend times when to take them?

My personal opinion.
    Use your supps when you are in a pinch for time, or trying to meet calorie/macro goals by end of day.

Try to eat your calories from whole foods, veggies and fruits as much as you can.

I have not used those two products for protein, I use Met-Rx for my protein....
    So as far as timing goes, what I would recommend is this....
    after your training sessions (boxing or lifting),
    Try to make those post workout meals high carbs, fair amt of protein, and low fat.....
    The muscles will benefit the most from that.....
    you want to replenish glycogen stores that you used during exercise.....as well as help with any MPS (muscle protein synthesis)
    So carbs and protein are your friends.....
    To much fat can interfere with this process a bit......so I typically try for <15gr of fat post workout.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Be sure you track your food intake and how you progress.
    I think 2600 calories may be low....
    So that is why I say watch things over 4 weeks.....
    and compare where you are on day 28 vs. day 1
    So weight, how you feel, how you look, are you progressing in your lifting, etc....
  • BearJ18
    Options
    I appreciate all your advice and will get starting that strong lift 5x5 soon as, Just been on the website and read a few reviews on it, Looks great so far
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I appreciate all your advice and will get starting that strong lift 5x5 soon as, Just been on the website and read a few reviews on it, Looks great so far

Good Luck
  • scottwilson16
    scottwilson16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I find that for lean mass gain, eating 35% of your carbs pre-workout and 35% of your carbs post-workout works well for me. It may not be optimal for you but its something to keep in mind if you keep upping the carbs over period of time. Mejool dates are ideal if you find it hard to hit the carb targets, i would also up your fibre slightly when you up carbs.