Has anyone given up on reaching their goal weight?

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Has anyone given up on reaching their goal weight and decide to start maintaining instead when they reached a certain weight as it gets harder as you get lighter?

yup. Me. I got impatient with the whole weight loss thing when my weight loss stopped several months ago.

I'm focusing on my lifting & have found that I'm progressing steadily with the increased calories (maintenance). I'm breezing through my lifts now, where I was struggling before.

I'm focusing more on meeting my macro goals, protein specifically & working on as little carbs per day as I can get away with. Currently it looks like under 60 g for me. I may still end up losing weight but my goal now is gaining/maintaining muscle & losing fat.

For some perspective, I'm 45 yrs old, small frame, SW 163#, CW 127-128# and I wear a size 6.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given up. I really wanted to get to 105, but I've been stuck at 112 for almost 6 months now. I feel good, and I'm generally happy with the way I look, but I do have some problem areas (thighs, gut, arm flap) that I would like to work on.

Truthfully, the sacrifice (lower calories, constant exercise) to get down to and maintain at that lower goal weight is just not worth it for me.

I need to be able to a drink or 2 or a cheesecake every once in a while, and not be have to be constantly vigilant about every damn calorie that goes into my mouth.

I'd rather enjoy my life at where I am then continue to obsess over calories for another 7 lbs.

It ain't worth the fight!

That's exactly how I felt :laugh: I was 10#'s away from my ultimate goal weight at 123# when I decided it was time to shift my priorities.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    my goal weight changed as my body did.

at 175, I thought 150 would be good. then at 150, I thought maybe 145 so I am in the healthy range for my height...

Now I am 120 lbs. Skinnier than I was in highschool, skinnier than I was on my wedding day. I am trying HARD to maintain this, and not to lose more.

In fact, I "over do it" once every 2 weeks or so, on purpose to keep the weight on.

(I just had a 1500 calorie buffet dinner, for example.)
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My original goal was 160. When I reached that I went for 150 thinking that was my healthy weight. I got my height checked and had lost a little over a inch so 140 was my new healthy. I reached that and would love 5-10 lbs more but sadly I am struggling. So I'm officially on break for a month.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Goals change. And there are short and long term goals.

I was originally 95kg with a goal of 85kg. I reached that and then set a goal of 77kg. Reached that and decided 70kg (as I thought I would have visible abs then). Reached 70kg and then turned out I was skinny fat.

Started lifting properly.

Goal then changed to increase weight slowly. Has taken about 5 years since then to now be at 80kg (normally around 85kg with semi visible abs around 11% BF)

Marathon not a sprint.

Definitely agree that some people (seems to be more common in females) pick goal weights that are not sustainable. You could probably get there but it will be very difficult and even more so to maintain. Just like how you don't see many guys walking around year round at sub 8% BF. It's hard on the body.

edit: apparently 71kg is the upper limit for "normal" bodyweight :laugh:
  • livingforjesus90
    Options
    I am never gonna give up. I wanna be healthy.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. My goal when I joined MFP was 145 because that's what I weighed when I got married and felt the best about how I looked. I'm 157ish right now, and am the same size I was then. The difference is that I wasn't doing any exercise at all back then. So I'm getting ready to call it a day and go into maintenance. I'm pretty pleased with how I look and am not so worried about the number on the scale anymore.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yup. my first goal weight was 205, i think. why? because that was what my healthy BMI is supposed to be, for my height.

the lowest i was able to get to was 218. i was barely eating, and tired all the time.

now, i want to stay under 230. i doubt i'll be able to get under 220. and i don't even really want to. i compete as a triathlete in the clydesdale division (220+ lbs), and i am dominating.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I got within 5 pounds of goal weight and STAYED THERE for more than a year.... SO. Then I upped my GOAL, thinking if I was ten pounds away from goal weight, it would trick me int losing 5.

I am either too smart to be tricked by stupid me, or too dumb to be able to trick my clever self...one of those.

It has been almost 17 months since I got here. I am tempted to just say OH WELL and change THIS to my goal weight except I feel certain -- CERTAIN! I would immediately gain five pounds.

this is me too
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've been 3 pounds from my goal weight for 2 months now (but I went on vacations for a week 2 months ago). At this point my goal is maintenance, I try to keep a 300-200 deficit when I can, don't sweat it when I can't, and figure I'll get there eventually (if I stop going over on Sundays). My goal is right in the middle of the healthy BMI range, and I have a larger frame, so it's not like it's a crazy goal either. But it's mostly psychological... I want to be under 60 kilos (130 pounds). Of course I probably have 3 pounds of loose skin or something and I'd be there without that, but heck...

It's not really about weight though, there's just some things I want to change (losing an inch or two on my hips and lower back). If somehow I got there without losing anything, I'd probably be happy.

It IS harder though because every single time I get to 132 pounds (132.5, to be exact), I get hungrier and pretty much gain a pound of water weight the next day :grumble:
  • kadenadie5
    kadenadie5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i like d that. to smart to trick stupid me or to stupid to trick your cleaverness. LOL
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 10 pounds more than my goal! To me, the last few weren't harder but I know for a lot of people they are.. but I do believe that your body gets comfortable at a certain weight because since starting running and increasing my lifting program, I can not get less than 155!

Don't give up! Unless/until you are where you want to be!!
  • duna_pruna
    duna_pruna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I noticed that the scale stopped going down but my size was still dropping. It would be a good idea to take your measurements at least once a month. If you are exercising a lot (and I am) you can gain muscle mass and lose fat.
  • duna_pruna
    duna_pruna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    OMG! Me too! I have been fighting to get below 130 now for two months. I actually dropped below in June, then we took a vacation and I've been struggling ever since. Good to know I'm not alone :)
  • llamajenn
    llamajenn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, sort of.... I used to weigh less than 115 back before having kids and also when I had less muscle. Now I'm between 120-125 but fitter and stronger. I think that matters more than the number on the scale. I am 5'5 BTW. I believe body fat percentage and how clothes fit are better tools to assess your fitness and progress.
  • llamajenn
    llamajenn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Goals change. And there are short and long term goals.

I was originally 95kg with a goal of 85kg. I reached that and then set a goal of 77kg. Reached that and decided 70kg (as I thought I would have visible abs then). Reached 70kg and then turned out I was skinny fat.

Started lifting properly.

Goal then changed to increase weight slowly. Has taken about 5 years since then to now be at 80kg (normally around 85kg with semi visible abs around 11% BF)

Marathon not a sprint.

Definitely agree that some people (seems to be more common in females) pick goal weights that are not sustainable. You could probably get there but it will be very difficult and even more so to maintain. Just like how you don't see many guys walking around year round at sub 8% BF. It's hard on the body.

edit: apparently 71kg is the upper limit for "normal" bodyweight :laugh:

Yes. Everyone's body is so different, and often people don't know what is appropriate, healthy, or sustainable until they try. Goals shouldn't be set in stone, and overall health and fitness should be a higher priority. (I know, it's hard for us females to NOT be pre-occupied with the number on the scale.)

I agree on the body fat % comments as well. Maintaining sub 8% for guys is so taxing on the body (likewise with 14% and under for females.) Also BF tests are not very reliable or consistent. I know, I work in a gym and have seen the bio-electrical impedance variety in action. :) Often people (esp bodybuilders) will cite ridiculously low percentages, sometimes underestimated. Or the variables that go into calculating BF % are not controlled. Example, I got a reading of 12% last week which was clearly inaccurate. Just had a lucky day, I guess!
    So rabbit trail aside, the moral of the story is still not to worry that much about numbers, whether it's BMI, lbs, or BF%.
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    given up here

Dr. Rockso?

The Rock & Roll Clown?
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Goal weights are arbitrary and the closer you get towards it the more you should know if it is a reasonable number (high or low).

What good is a goal weight that you cannot maintain long term and feel good about?

This! I was in WW 4 separate times and each time I lost a lot of weight but could never get to their magic number, so never got to learn how to maintain. This time with MFP I set my goal about 20 pounds more than the weight charts say I should weigh BUT I have my doctor's blessing and I know I can maintain this weight. Good luck and I hope you figure out where you want to be.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a specific weight goal any more, more of an ideal weight range (for my running, lifting and cross training goals) which I have maintained for over 18 months now. As long as my weight is healthy (which it always has been), I am not too hung up on it.

As can be seen by these charts, ideal weight has some variation depending on your sport of choice. Even within a specific sport, different world class athletes compete at different BMI levels:

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/bmis-champions
    http://www.runnersworld.com/womens-running/bmis-of-champions-womens-edition
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up, but I have been 6 lbs. away from my goal weight for over a year. The good news is that I definitely know how to maintain. I believe I will get there someday, but I'm not really worried about it. I just try to be as healthy as I can be.