Fitness Magazine on the 1200 calories a day diet and Diabete

Options
I wanted to share this, I saw it in fitness magazine
Ditch the deprivation diet!!! Its true that dropping pounds if you're overweight can help protect you against diabetes. But a recent study indicates that people who slash their intake too much -to 1,200 calories a day- had higher levels of stress hormones, which can ultimately increase the risk of developing the disease. "When you cut calories to very low levels, your body perceives it as a type of stress, which is probably what leads it to produce more stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline," explains David Kendall, M.D. cheif scientific and medical officer for the American Diabetes Association. This in turn can send your blood sugar soaring. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, try the slow and steady approach rather than resorting to a crash diet. "Eat about 1,500 calories a day as part of a sensible weight-loss plan" advises Susan Weiner, R.D. a certified diabetes educator in Merrick, New York. And, of course, exercise regularly to help fight the flab.

Replies

• Stinger97
    Options
    I still don't understand how 1,200 calories can feel like deprivation.

Interesting article nonetheless, though.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I know that I can not do 1200 calories and workout the way I do. I would want to chew my arm off. There are days with my training that I have noticed that I have been a bit more hungry. I try to keep it 1400-1600. But if I am hungry I will have a light healthy snack
  • sk4399
    sk4399 Posts: 96
    Options
    I have a hard time eating all my 1,200, BUT I do not work out at all.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I know that I can not do 1200 calories and workout the way I do. I would want to chew my arm off. There are days with my training that I have noticed that I have been a bit more hungry. I try to keep it 1400-1600. But if I am hungry I will have a light healthy snack

I know what you mean!!!
  • last25
    last25 Posts: 83
    Options
    Seriously, I don't know how anyone can eat just 1200 calories per day. Even when I don't work out I have to watch it so I don't go over my 1530 calorie allotment. Shoot, I'm always tempted to skip the rest and do a work out so that I can eat more, lol. :laugh:
  • GiGi76
    Options
    Seriously, I don't know how anyone can eat just 1200 calories per day. Even when I don't work out I have to watch it so I don't go over my 1530 calorie allotment. Shoot, I'm always tempted to skip the rest and do a work out so that I can eat more, lol. :laugh:

Me too girl!!! :laugh:
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options

Me too girl!!! :laugh:

Same here ladies! I loves the grub : )
  • flynabster
    Options
    Add me to that list too, lol
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time eating all my 1,200, BUT I do not work out at all.

I had the same problem until I started working out again. Now I have to make sure I am still eating enough to maintain my weight.
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    I've always been on the 'See Food Diet'!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • GinaSz3
    GinaSz3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find it hard sometimes to get to 1200 calories especially if I worked out, I eat all day long and go to log after several hours to find that I'm still under. This doesn'ta happen every time but it happens pretty often. BUT honestly what are people eating??? I mean eating a cup of broccoli, snap peas, or anything of the like is not even close to 100 calories. Fruits ? Lean proteins??
  • GiGi76
    Options
    I find it hard sometimes to get to 1200 calories especially if I worked out, I eat all day long and go to log after several hours to find that I'm still under. This doesn'ta happen every time but it happens pretty often. BUT honestly what are people eating??? I mean eating a cup of broccoli, snap peas, or anything of the like is not even close to 100 calories. Fruits ? Lean proteins??

but your eating all day and you arent having just 600 calories!!! ;-)
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I find it hard sometimes to get to 1200 calories, I eat all day long and go to log after several hours to find that I'm still under.

That was the same with me. Since I work at home on a computer, I'm not that hungry so when I would log everything I found out that I was under and tried to eat something healthy. Now that I'm working out I'm still finding it hard to keep the calories where they shoudl be to maintain, but I'm getting better and finding healthy foods to eat to get the calories I need.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I was fine with eating 1200 calories. I actually had massive issues meeting that goal until I started working out. Now I would never be able to stop that! Thank God for being able to eat your burned calories! Its an interesting thought though. I don't know I agree with it. SO much success on this website. So many healthy people and so many changed lifestyles for the better. And its not meant to stay at permanently, the 1200. Its just when you are in a loss mode (depending on your height and weight.) To loose a 2 pounds a week MFP puts me at 1200 calories a week. To maintain it puts me at 1600 calories.

Bottom line...I love working out...and eating... :o)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have eaten 1200 calories by lunch time :P healthy fats :)

It's all about calorific deficit. People who do no exercise and must get their deficit solely from a reduction in calorie intake. (And can end up skinny fat) People that exercise reguarly can get there deficit from reduced intake as well as exercise, hence these people can have a higher intake and still lose weight. Clearly, the exercise and modified intake is the best method long term.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have eaten 1200 calories by lunch time :P healthy fats :)

It's all about calorific deficit. People who do no exercise and must get their deficit solely from a reduction in calorie intake. (And can end up skinny fat) People that exercise reguarly can get there deficit from reduced intake as well as exercise, hence these people can have a higher intake and still lose weight. Clearly, the exercise and modified intake is the best method long term.

Haha "skinny fat" I have never heard that term before ! :P awesome I was definitely skinny fat before I joined MFP and learnt the joys of exercise :) x