FAVORTIE Low Calorie Recipes

Losing2Live1989
Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I thought it would be cool if we all posted atleast one recipe thats low in calories. The new year is coming and it will give everyone good ideas on things to cook in the new year!

Replies

• hop3
    hop3 Posts: 61 Member
    I like to make deviled eggs. The way I make them is without mayo. I take all the insides (yolk) and mix it with mustard and paprika. Tastes yummy and has less calories than if you used mayo. You could also use miracle whip if you wanted, it's still better than mayo.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    I bought a huge head of cauliflower and didn't know what to do with it, so I ended up softening an onion and garlic clove in a splash of olive oil, then added chicken broth, some celery, and the cauliflower. Simmered it till tender and pureed it. It was so delicious - tasted like a cream soup. I put it in the recipe calculator and it came out to 56 calories per cup. Super filling too. I am going to make it again this weekend.
  • bump
  • mommyjos
    mommyjos Posts: 98 Member
    yum on the cauliflower!
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    That sounds good.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    I bought a huge head of cauliflower and didn't know what to do with it, so I ended up softening an onion and garlic clove in a splash of olive oil, then added chicken broth, some celery, and the cauliflower. Simmered it till tender and pureed it. It was so delicious - tasted like a cream soup. I put it in the recipe calculator and it came out to 56 calories per cup. Super filling too. I am going to make it again this weekend.

I'll have to try that. Thanks.:flowerforyou:
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    I like to make a mix of lentils and chickpeas with onion and garlic to be used as a base for salads or a side dish. It's high in protein and fiber, and goes well fish like salmon or tuna or even canned sardines. I like to add tomatoes or spinach leaves, or grilled chicken, or peppers.

1 can of chickpeas
    100 g of Le Puy type lentils
    1 red onion
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    salt/pepper/lemon juice/balsamic vinegar to taste

Rinse chickpeas, remove skins (if you have the time: it really improves the taste). Cook lentils in slightly salted water until soft inside, but with a bite still. Mince garlic finely. Cut onion into medium-fine slices.

Mix everything, add olive oil, seasoning.

Fill into portion-sized receptacles. The recipe makes three LARGE portions (ca 275 cal each), or four servings of a side dish for a little over 200.

Per serving (3):
    276 cal
    36 g carbs
    8 g fat
    16 g protein
    9 g fiber
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Caggage
    Onion
    Skim milk
    light cream

Simmer in pot.

Add whatever spices you want. I like peri peri.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member

Yum this sounds delish x
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

Also

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole

Ok, this is one of my absolute favourites. It has a great balance of protein to carbs, and is low in fat and - even better - low in calories. I should add that I lost weight through a combination of educating myself about nutrition and the phenomenon of calorie counting. The way our body works is far too complicated to ignorantly assume that even accurate calorie counting is a sure-fire method of ensuring that we lose weight, but it is a fantastic guideline to ensure you are eating at a defecit.

I found this recipe on CC and it sounded crazy! Butternut squash, garlic and cranberries!? But I was curious so I had to try it. Sure enough, with a little tweaking, it was a taste-bud sensation!

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole
    Serves: 6
    500g Butternut Squash
    1 1/2 cups green lentils
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 cloves garlic
    3g thyme
    400g tomatoes, tinned
    100g dried cranberries
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 chicken stock cube
    400 ml water

Boil the lentils in the chicken stock cube and water for 1 hour.
    Roast the squash in chunks in the oven for 30 mins.
    Warm the oil and add finely chopped garlic and coarsley chopped onion.
    Add the squash and any fluids which may have come off during roasting.
    Drain the lentils, reserving the stock and adding it to the pan.
    When the squash begings to break up a little, add the lentils and tin of tomatoes.
    Simmer for 20 mins then add cinnamon,nutmeg, thyme & cranberries.
    Mix well and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the squash has almost completely broken down and the sauce has thickened.

227 calories per serving, 0.2g F, 0.0g SF, 44.2g C, 6.9g S, 10.1g Fb, 11.9g P

This freezes well and refridgerates for up to 3 days. I know the combination of flavours sounds crazy, I was skeptical too, but it really tastes delicious! I eat it on its own, its quite a large portion. Would perhaps go well with a small green salad, and maybe some bulgur wheat or brown rice if you fancy some starchy carbs/grains.

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Cranberry

This is my daughter's blog and we have tasted the recipes and they only get in if there good!

She lost over 100lbs! loves cooking ..
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    all sounds great! I mix 1 cup of no salt mixed beans with 4 cherry tomatoes,2 tablespoons of sliced olives and top with lemon and fresh basil. very good for you! the cherry tomatoes are 20calories,the olives as well,and the cup of beans I use 250 calories.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    A lower calorie way to eat tuna:

1 can water packed white tuna (I always stock up when it's on sale)
    juice of 1 lime
    2-3 dashes Old Bay seasoning
    1 T parsley
    1-2 T Light Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
    2 Low carb or whole wheat tortilla or wrap (I like Flat Out)

You can also add celery if you like. Mix and fill in wrap, add tomato and lettuce if you like. Makes 2 servings. I like this version better than the classic!
  • "fried rice"

i dont know the exact calories but it was delicious, high fiber and protein and low fat

frozen brocoli, corn (just a little for flavor), peppers, onions, green beans
    garlic
    olive oil (just about 1-2 tbsp for color, flavor, and healthy oil-optional)
    soy sauce (low sodium, just enough to color everything)
    quinoa (abotu 2 cups made according to package substituting half water for low sodium/fat free chicken broth)
    chicken breast (about 1 breast or 3 fillets)
    egg substitute (about 1/2 C)

I put the oil, garlic, and veg in a wok let it start steaming up then added the chick, chopped up into small cubes. after the chicken was just about done i added the eggs, let them scramble a couple mins then added the quinoa and soy sauce. let it cook a little longer til the chicken and eggsare done.

i did more than half the pan veggies, it was soo good. I froze a bunch. I ate about a cup as a serving and then a salad and a yogurt for dinner. If you havent had quinoa yet, i suggest looking into it. one serving has something like 7 grams of fiber and 10 grams of protein, something like that. Its a lot like rice but not much flavor so it mixes well with almost anything.
This discussion has been closed.