Food Addiction

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to this and I'm trying my best to really stick to it, but I feel that I have a serious problem with motivation and commitment. I know that I want this. It's what I've wanted for SO long and if I were able to do it, I'd feel extremely accomplished and so much more confident. But for some reason, it's so hard for me to stop eating all the foods I know I shouldn't. it's like an addiction, I see chocolate or something else really unhealthy and compulsively buy it and eat it. It's also affecting how much money I spend! I'd like to break this vicious cycle once and for all but I need help. I really need help because I don't want to partake in this anymore. Any advice?

Replies

• 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You are not alone. There is help through Overeaters Anonymous. They have a program of recovery and support from others who have the same struggles. Google it. And feel free to add me, I am a new member of MFP and OA.
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    http://authoritynutrition.com/food-addiction/

On that page there is a link to this guys book about his struggle with food addiction and how he beat it. It really opened my eyes on the problem at hand. For me it was learning about it and coming to terms with the fact that i was a food addict and what caused it and some helpful videos that are linked in that book.

Your not alone. I'd kill for some chips right now, but I'm chewing on some gum instead. It's tough as nails, but with some knowledge, research, and a great support system you can get through it.
  • LarStar
    LarStar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Check out FoodAddicts.org It is a strict eating plan that will help to free your mind and body from the obsession and addiction to food. OA s for Over Eaters while FA is for Food Addicts :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Hard truth but the sooner that you stop saying this is an addiction, the better.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Like all drugs, its more specifically an impulse control problem.

1 - figure out your emotions you are trying to hide from. When you want to eat and you are not actually hungry - you are eating out of emotions.

2 - figure out an alternative to your "trigger" emotions.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself is to just make it out of the store without buying it. It's hard, I know, but go in there with a list and stick to it.
    Here's one suggestion:
    Only go grocery shopping once a week, on a set day and time.
    Put 3 healthy things on the list and give yourself 3 "flex" items.
    Every grocery shopping day, change your ratio of "set" items and "flex" items. 4:2, then 5:1, etc.
    That way you'll always have one "flex" item, and always have something to look forward to, and not feel quite so hopeless. Maybe then your anxiety about it will lower.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Hard truth but the sooner that you stop saying this is an addiction, the better.

Wrong. It is an addiction. A person can become addicted to anything - gambling, sex, shopping, etc. Any behavior that activates the brain's reward system path, whether in a positive or negative way, can become an addiction.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you're not alone in this. It's difficult but small steps towards a healthier life style will lead to permanent new habits. Hang in there. You'll do fine if you stick to a list of things to buy.