NSV first 5k

Options
ljacksn3
ljacksn3 Posts: 32 Member
I just signed up for my first 5k! Tomorrow will be my last day of couch to 5k and I figured what better way to celebrate. I'm not quite at 3.1 miles just yet (my pace is a little slow due to being so short.. I'm 4'10"), but I plan on working on my endurance over the next 8 weeks to prepare. I also have to adjust to running outside... Any suggestions I that? I know I haven't actually reached my goal yet, but I'm just so proud that finally finished this program. I've started it several times, and it feel great to finally finish it. Now on to running!

Replies

• healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You will do great, especially with 8 weeks left to go. 5ks are a blast. :)

I'm redoing the couch 2 5k right now (after not running for 2 years). It is hard work, so you should be very proud of yourself!! :drinker:
  • sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great job! When you start running outside you might find yourself even slower (I know, right!?) or having to walk a bit again. Don't get discouraged. Once you get used to it you might even do better outside. I find that when I run outside I am less "in my head" and can perform much better.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    completely ditch the treadmill and spend the next 8 weeks running outside.

a friend of mine trained for a 5k entirely inside on a treadmill. she practically died on her first 5k. but now that she's been running outside, she's enjoying running a lot more.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I agree with Capt_Apollo about running as much as you can outside before the race. Humidity, terrain, and other differences can make it a different experience.

Since you have already completed C25K with 8 weeks to spare you are in great shape for your first race. Have fun!
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you must run on the dreadmill, set the incline to 2% or so. That will do a better job of simulating running outside.

And congrats! You're going to have a blast! :-)
  • sophp333
    Options
    I did my first 5k 2 weeks ago (I was half way through week 8 of couch to 5k at the time) and was so proud of myself! I found that starting with the flattest course you can really helps, and somewhere where you don't have to deal with traffic. I'm getting better with hills but to begin with it was so demoralizing! And don't worry too much about time - on race day I was 5 minutes faster than my best time, having people to follow makes heaps of difference :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k 2 weeks ago (I was half way through week 8 of couch to 5k at the time) and was so proud of myself! I found that starting with the flattest course you can really helps, and somewhere where you don't have to deal with traffic. I'm getting better with hills but to begin with it was so demoralizing! And don't worry too much about time - on race day I was 5 minutes faster than my best time, having people to follow makes heaps of difference :-)

yes, race day can provide a good amount of adrenaline. however, that can be a good or a bad thing. start off too fast and you'll be that person halfway through the race walking with your hands on your hips.

i've set some amazing PR's on races, and i've been absolutely crushed on others. the good thing about doing your first race is that it's going to be a PR no matter what!
  • ljacksn3
    ljacksn3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm super excited. I'm lucky to have a great friend who is going to run with me. She races all the time and promises to keep me motivated. I'm starting my outdoor training next week. Hopefully the heat will let up. Unfortunately with my schedule early morning or evening is not an option, but I'll have plenty of water.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. It's great to have the motivation of a race. As others have said, run outside as much as you can over the next 8 weeks. Practice eating and running at the same times as you will on race day. I always find that tricky- if you normally train in the morning but your race is in the evening you will suffer on the day if you don't have a trial run. Enjoy the next few weeks and let us know how you get on in your race.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!