How much more do you "weigh" at night?

justinswife
justinswife Posts: 49 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I guess I am a compulsive weigh-er! I suppose it keeps me on track. But I always weigh myself in the morning and before bed. It seems I am always up 2 lbs. at night. Is this normal? It's almost discouraging! Does this happen to anyone else? What is the difference in your weight from morning to night?

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Weight can fluctuate +/- up two pounds. Weighing myself more than once a week stresses me out, but that's just me.
  • I'm the same way, I'm normally 2-4lbs heavier at night right before bed than what I am the next morning.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    I'd assume that since you've been asleep for many hours, you're weight automatically goes down a little, doesn't it? And then maybe the food and exercise of a day makes it go up? Now that I read my answer, that doesn't sound very helpful. But I do know what you mean. If I weigh of a morning and then later on in the day, they're different, usually higher.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    This is very normal! There are posts about this all the time on here! :o) Water, sodium, eating, not eating...all plays a part in what you weigh at any point of the day. That's why they say to weigh yourself once a week to get a better idea of what you've actually lost. Otherwise you could drive yourself crazy looking at all the ounces you loose and gain on a daily, even hourly basis! ;o)

I always weigh myself in the morning...that way I don't have a full day of eating and drinking in my body, weighing me down! :o)
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    yea i'm the same way it can be up as much as 5 lbs for me at night, i weigh myself every day, but when i weigh in for here i try to use the same day (wed) and do it in the middle of the day.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    mine is usually more than two pounds, haha. that's why i stopped weighing myself at night.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Sometimes its 2 lbs, other times its 5 lol

It is very normal.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    guess it depends how much you get up to pee!!! LOL usually I willbe 1.5 to 2lbs less when I get up though :)
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    I can sometimes be up 4-5 lbs before bed then be back down in the morning. I get the weighing...I weigh myself like 3 times a day. I also extremely fluctuate between days. I can be 130 one morning, the next morning be 135, the next day be 133 then be 137 then MAGICALLY down to like 129 the next. It is REALLY weird. This is mainly why I weigh myself so often because I don't want to just happen to weigh myself on the day that I'm up....THAT to me would be extremely discouraging. Knowing how my body fluctuates makes me make sense of it. If I weigh myself on Wednesday and I'm down then on Friday I'm up....I know just to wait a few days (and STAY CALM) because I'll be back down in a few days.
  • You have "water" weight by nighttime. I always weight at least 2lbs. more at night. Even more if I weigh with clothes on.
  • Mine flucuates between 2 or 3 lbs. I try to not weight at night as it only depresses me. I only weigh once per week in the mornings after I've used the restroom and before I've drank or ate anything.
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    I weigh myself a lot too. I'm generally 2 pounds more than I weigh the next morning too. Just don't let it control your emotions and you'll be fine.
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    I weigh am and pm...and have determined that at any given time it could be up or down a couple pounds.

I might be a little ocd with the weighing of myself.
  • great question i've always wondered the same thing.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Fluid retention... You lose it overnight with normal metabolism and insensible loss ( ie sweat, etc.) while you sleep, and then of course when you hit the bathroom upon arising.
  • Im also ocd about weight on some days i find myself checking my weight every 10 minutes. I find myself weighing 2 pounds more at night and thats perfectly normal admin.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Women also fluctuate in weight more than men. Its not atypical to see UP TO 5 pound fluctuation on the scale from day to day. Also if you consume water, food, ect all day long, obviously that weighs something. Don't freak out too much about it.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    You're also a tiny bit shorter at night than in the morning, from being upright and gravity pushing on your bones all day.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    I am usually 2 pounds heavier before I go to bed
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Weight can fluctuate +/- up two pounds. Weighing myself more than once a week stresses me out, but that's just me.

This I also weigh myself at home and at work. I call it my doctor weight so I dont get a shock when I go to the doctors.
This discussion has been closed.