Freckles....

workoutqueen628
workoutqueen628 Posts: 220
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
Hey all, I know this is kind of a random topic, but I have noticed that I have a lot of freckles all over my arms, legs, shoulders, and back. I have fair skin and love to run outside when the weather is not frigid. I am not great about applying sunscreen all over my body, but I make sure to protect my face from the sun. I don't really understand where all these freckles came from- should I be worried about them?! Have i been overexposed to the sun? The thing is they have popped up even on my back which is always covered by clothing- how is this possible?

Replies

• ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    clothing isnt uva/uvb protective unless it says so. I too am extremely fair skined and i only freckle and burn. If i were you i would be more diligently covering myself in sunscreen or avoiding the sun all together. I absolutely hate freckles on myself and every year i get more, i dont wanna end up like lindsey lohan lol Freckles dont ever go away i dont think...im worried about them for both vanity and health reasons.

Make sure you get your doc to check up on any that start to change, also look online so you know what to look for with cancerous spots.
  • My grandfather has melinoma (sp?) so I've been careful about keeping an eye on my freckles as well..

If they're small, round, and even coloured, you're probably fine. They're just freckles, plain and simple. If they're an odd colour, an uneven colour, raised or strangely/ragged shaped, definitely get it checked out! Keep an eye on whether or not they change too..

Clothing does not stop all UV rays, and even in the shade or in the winter, there's enough sun to harm our skin eventually. Although it's very unlikely for you to seriously harm your skin with clothes on, in the winter, etc. Lol.

If you can't get it out of your head, and they really bother you, get them checked anyway. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck, I hope they're just freckles!! :)
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Esthetician here. :)

It was once thought that children inherited a predisposition to freckles but science has now shown that freckles, even in small children, are early signs of sun damage and usually affect those with fair skin. It's great that you're protecting your face while you're outside. Because you're fair, you need to protect the rest of your skin as well with a good sunscreen as well. I wouldn't be overly worried about your freckles but to answer your question, yes, they're an unwanted gift from the sun. The sun's rays can penetrate most fabrics in clothing, umbrellas, etc., however, there are now clothing options available from a variety of sources that offer huge protection from the sun - but you still need to smooth on a good sunscreen.

Check out Coolibar, Solumbra, Solartex, and Alex & Me, Co. They all have stores online and most of their clothing has excellent coverage.

If your freckles do not fade after covering up with sunscreen and UV protective clothing, there are some great Rx skin care lines that will help you repair some of your sun damage. If interested, just PM me. Also, very important but especially so for fair skinned freckled folks, when you're at your physicians office or your dermatologists, ask them to check from head to toe for any irregular skin lesions. Better to be safe than sorry. :)
    Hey all, I know this is kind of a random topic, but I have noticed that I have a lot of freckles all over my arms, legs, shoulders, and back. I have fair skin and love to run outside when the weather is not frigid. I am not great about applying sunscreen all over my body, but I make sure to protect my face from the sun. I don't really understand where all these freckles came from- should I be worried about them?! Have i been overexposed to the sun? The thing is they have popped up even on my back which is always covered by clothing- how is this possible?
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    It have also noticed an appearance of more freckles, well some that I haven't seen in years. As I have shrunk, my skin has shrunk, and those freckles that had "stretched out" with my skin are now appearing again.
This discussion has been closed.