Sick

Options
When you are sick (general flu type thing) do you stick to a calorie deficit or do you up your calories?

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry eat nutritious food, if you have no appetite then don't.
    Listen to your body, you can't go wrong!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a week at maintenance while you're ill wont do any harm and may help you recover faster.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick I do what my body craves. I usually want curry if I've got a cold! Maybe it's the only thing I can taste. But yeah, eat what feels good, because depriving your body of calories when you need to heal is a stupid idea. Virus recovery guidelines say to eat plenty of protein, if that's any help.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that nothing makes me recover quicker than exercise. In fact, when I feel any of the symptoms of a cold/flu beginning to manifest I make sure I do a big, strenuous workout that day and this seems to stop it in its tracks.

In terms of nutrition to answer your question, I stick to my usual calorie deficit.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm craving simple carbs at the moment probably due to me only having complex carbs so I'll top on Mac & Cheese.

Exercise I barely had the energy to walk from the station to work today so I think I'll stay away from that atm.

Thanks all
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat. Usually when I'm sick, I don't feel like eating. Do what your body tells you to do and don't worry about it. Eating at maintenance for a week isn't going to hurt anything.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    It's probably not what I should do but... I don't even keep track. I eat what appeals to me (crackers/OJ/lentils/Vernors/cheese toast, depending on symptoms) and rest until it goes away. I have a not-great immune system though so I baby myself. It's only a day or two that I really feel that sick usually, I figure I can't do that much damage.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    I'll try and keep track. I just have no energy and need to get through work then I'm going to bed with Breaking bad. :)
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    When I get sick I go the opposite way. My hunger goes away, and so does my thirst, so I end up forcing food and water down.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    When I get sick I go the opposite way. My hunger goes away, and so does my thirst, so I end up forcing food and water down.

I wish I was like that!!!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite when I get sick and have to make myself eat and drink. I caught the flu and loss 10 lbs. in a week. I don't see anything wrong with you eating at maintenance while you are sick.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, I go with the flow of what my body needs/wants. I still track everything, but I don't worry about hitting my macros or if I go over on calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Deficit eating is fine, too. Sometimes the body wants to focus on recovering, not digesting. Do what feels right. Get well soon!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, I track, but don't care if I'm at a deficit. Usually I want low calorie things like chicken soup.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Never felt like eating when I had the flu.

I did drop like 14 pounds once and only gained 8 back a week later. So, bonus there.

Flu sucks. :(
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Never felt like eating when I had the flu.

I did drop like 14 pounds once and only gained 8 back a week later. So, bonus there.

Flu sucks. :(

I want to eat everything in sight. I wish I couldn't eat.
  • sdouglas0728
    sdouglas0728 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I get sick, I normally try to drink a lot of my calories in drinks with a lot of nutrition because i don't have an appetite.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Clearly I'm a freak wanting to eat when ill. :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No, you're not! The only thing that's ever put me off food was food poisoning, and that only lasted about 3 days!
  • aneary1980
    Options

No, you're not! The only thing that's ever put me off food was food poisoning, and that only lasted about 3 days!

I think that would put me off. :)