Advice for sore calf?

Options
I have had a sore calf for almost 2 months now. I do lots of water aerobics, which does not aggravate it. I can't jog, move suddenly or jump on that leg. I am able to do modified kickboxing....can't do the scissors! I can feel it when doing stairs as well, and I havent been able to do my step aerobics, boo!

Any advice on how to get it to go away? I do a lot of stretching of the muscles, but it has been sore over 2 months. I really want to try the couch to 5K, but gotta heal first!

Thanks for any advice!
Megan

Replies

• laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough potassium? Sometimes my calves will be sore and the muscle will even tense up if I have been working out and I am not getting enough potassium.

Just a suggestion. But if it's been hurt for that long...it may be something like a sprain.
  • firemama
    firemama Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What kind of pain is it? Muscle? If it is perhaps you should try foam rolling. Foam rollering offer many of the same benefits as a sports massage, it stretches muscles and tendons but it also breaks down soft tissue adhesions and scar tissue. By using your own body weight and a cylindrical foam roller you can perform a self-massage or myofascial release, break up trigger points, and soothe tight fascia while increasing blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues.

I have been trying to find one where I live, but can't seem to. I am currently using rolling pin, I know it sounds funny, put I am able to apply pressure with my body weight. It will have to do until I order a foam roller.

Aloha-
    firemama
  • BrianBier
    Options
    I have had a sore calf for almost 2 months now. I do lots of water aerobics, which does not aggravate it. I can't jog, move suddenly or jump on that leg. I am able to do modified kickboxing....can't do the scissors! I can feel it when doing stairs as well, and I havent been able to do my step aerobics, boo!

Any advice on how to get it to go away? I do a lot of stretching of the muscles, but it has been sore over 2 months. I really want to try the couch to 5K, but gotta heal first!

Thanks for any advice!
    Megan

Megan,

Part of your healing is dependent upon which "calf" muscle is hurt:

Gastrocnemius - what most people consider "the calf" -- visible calf muscles
    Soleus - the muscle under "the calf" -- usually injured while running or stepping

And the next part would be to determine what type of injury you have...i.e. tear, pull, etc.

Also, what happened that first caused the issue? Being that is has gone on as long as you describe could have a deeper issue such as a tear, ligament damage or something that just isn't able to heal on its own.

You described exercises that would indicate you possibly have an issue with the Soleus muscle as that works to propel the foot during walking, running, steps or exercises when the knee is bent.

I'm only speaking from my experience as I've had cramps/pulls of my Soleus while running (I'm a forefoot runner). I've learned various stretches to do before and *most importantly,* after running to help. Also, you want to ensure you have enough electrolytes and minerals in your body to help prevent cramping and further issues while exercising.

There is a TON of info online if you search around once you determine what parts of your calf you have injured.

Here is a great article regarding electrolyte replenishment:
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/electrolyte-replenishment-why-it-146-s-so-important-and-how-to-do-it-right.1274.html?sect=advanced-knowledge-section

Brian
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think I get enough potassium. I eat bananas a lot, and take a prenatal vitamin every day.

It definitely feels like muscle pain. I thought I had pulled or strained it in October, although it didn't "pop" or all of a sudden hurt, it came on gradually, and then got worse if I tried to move too quickly. It's better than it was, but it's been 2.5 months! I want to be able to do more.
  • BrianBier
    Options
    What kind of pain is it? Muscle? If it is perhaps you should try foam rolling. Foam rollering offer many of the same benefits as a sports massage, it stretches muscles and tendons but it also breaks down soft tissue adhesions and scar tissue. By using your own body weight and a cylindrical foam roller you can perform a self-massage or myofascial release, break up trigger points, and soothe tight fascia while increasing blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues.

I have been trying to find one where I live, but can't seem to. I am currently using rolling pin, I know it sounds funny, put I am able to apply pressure with my body weight. It will have to do until I order a foam roller.

Aloha-
    firemama

Very good suggestion -- I would also recommend a deep-tissue massage as well.

After I injured one of my Soleus muscles...it nagged for a while during different runs. I got a deep-tissue massage and while extremely painful during the "working knots out," it made a world of difference afterward!

Brian
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If going the massage route, try and find a sports massage therapist, that will eliminate the possiblity of getting an inadequate treatment! Don't want to waste money needlessly!!:grumble:
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I will look into a sports massage.