muscle soreness and healing question

Stupid question (I obviously didn't pay attention in bio): Does being sore/ lactic acid build up hinder muscle healing or does the lactic acid not slow down the healing process? Let's say my arms were still sore 3 days later and I was going to lift weights again, since it was past 48 hours are my muscles "healed" or should I wait until the soreness goes away? TIA

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You don't have to wait until the soreness is gone. You're going to be more sore in the beginning...it doesn't mean you haven't recovered...it just means you're out of shape. If you're always waiting until the soreness is gone then you'er just going to chronically be sore.

As you get into things you will be able to feel the difference between simply being a little sore and DOMS vs muscles that haven't recovered yet. DOMS doesn't necessarily mean you aren't recovered...they just mean you're doing something you don't usually do or are out of shape.
  • You don't have to wait until the soreness is gone. You're going to be more sore in the beginning...it doesn't mean you haven't recovered...it just means you're out of shape. If you're always waiting until the soreness is gone then you'er just going to chronically be sore.

As you get into things you will be able to feel the difference between simply being a little sore and DOMS vs muscles that haven't recovered yet. DOMS doesn't necessarily mean you aren't recovered...they just mean you're doing something you don't usually do or are out of shape.

Thanks, I have been doing it that way without any thought but I REALLY worked my shoulders a couple days ago and am still sore from it and was just thinking about it today when I was working on my back because I could feel the soreness

Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't messing up the healing process and taking two steps back
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Naw, you'll be good.

Just realize that there is sore, and there is injured. Don't work through injured. Address injured.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    You can keep going or wait till the sorness is gone.

Lactic acid burns during exercise, but DOMS is actually microscopic muslce tares.