Staycation Ideas

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
I'm taking a week off but not going anywhere, I live in northern virginia and would love some fun and different things to do around my area. Anybody got any interesting and different staycation ideas?

Replies

• TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    How far are you from DC?
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Great falls is AWSOME, both the MD and VA sides. So is a day trip to skyline drive.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    google/research your area like you were going to travel there. There are probably a lot of things you don't necessarily think about because you live there and don't think about "sight seeing" your own area
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    How far are you from DC?

Northern Virginia is not the far from DC at all depending on where she lives.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    How far are you from DC?

about 30 min
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If I took labor day week off. I go to the beach. VA beach or OC.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

I would not head down to VA Beach on a holiday weekend. She'll spend half her time on 64 in standstill traffic.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I always get great ideas for things to do by perusing Groupon. Have fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My wife and I do a few staycatitons annually...not usually for an entire week, usually just long weekends. We either go up to Santa Fe and use my wife's parent's time share points and stay at the condo up there or if we have some jungle in our jangle we to to the Hyatt Regency Tamaya and live it up in luxury.

Santa Fe is a nice get away for us because it's only about an hour away but, but living here we rarely go up...we get to feel like tourists for the weekend or whatever and we do things we wouldn't normally do day to day like going to the Santa Fe Opera, tooling around the galleries and outdoor markets, etc. We've even done the guided tour a couple of times. Sometimes its fun to be a tourist where you live.

We do the Tamaya when we just want to hang out by the pool and have handsome men and pretty ladies bring us beer and margaritas all day.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Check out trip advisor things to do for the towns near you. Have fun and don't spend the week doing home projects!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow.
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow.

bahahahaha love this.

Or just plan hiking trips in town. Go to a new restaurant. Movie marathon. Art project. etc.
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    Northern Virginia has so many options within an hour or two's drive. If you don't mind driving, go down to the Shanendoah Valley for the day. Otherwise, there is no shortage of stuff to do in DC ranging from going to U Street or checking out the museums or visiting all of the different awesome restaurants around the region.

Seriously... I could spend months exploring the place
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hookers and blow.
    That's your answer to everything.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    http://dc.about.com/od/touristattractions/tp/NorthernVirginiaAttractions.htm

also if you have kids and want to just stay home....
    Camp in your back yard.
    Or set up sleeping bags etc in house and do scary movie night.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    dumpster dive
  • Grimmerick
    Options

I would not head down to VA Beach on a holiday weekend. She'll spend half her time on 64 in standstill traffic.

Yeah I used to live down there, the HRBT alone is cause for headache
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing next week.... and I think we may take a trip to the zoo in D.C. with the little one and the 2 older kids:wink:
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    dumpster dive

I did once but I was looking for a dental impression I accidentally threw away for a patient we were working on. ugh it was like 90 degrees outside too. So that one's off the ol bucket list
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    dumpster dive

I would probably choose this option, if I have to be serious. I refurbish furniture so, YAY free stuff.