EATING RIGHT AND EXERCISING, I GET STRETCH MARKS??

Options
I AM 23 YEARS OLD AND I BEGAN MY JOURNEY ON August 6, 2014. I started at 261. Past days ive been working out and eating clean which put me at 249. Problem is before doing so i had no stretch marks..well i did but they weren't noticeable at all. Now that im trying to get fit and workout i have massive dark red stretch marks. Not only is it embarrassing, i always thought you only got them when you gained alot of weight (which i did, but didn't have them) not when your loosing:(

anyone else have this problem>>

Replies

• astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You didn't get the stretch marks because you lost weight. Like you said, you already had them but you couldn't see them due to the fat that caused the skin to stretch in the first place further stretching out the stretch marks, making them less noticeable. You've lost fat. So, the stretch marks are more noticeable.

I have stretch marks, too. Thin people who have never once been overweight can get stretch marks, too. My stretch marks came about because I spent most of my life eating too much.

Stretch marks, as far as I know, don't fully go away. The skin has been damaged. But, keeping your skin healthy should help. Some people swear by cocoa butter and shea butter. If you want to shell out the cash, go to a dermstore.com and search stretch marks. They have tons of products.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    You didn't get the stretch marks because you lost weight. Like you said, you already had them but you couldn't see them due to the fat that caused the skin to stretch in the first place further stretching out the stretch marks, making them less noticeable. You've lost fat. So, the stretch marks are more noticeable.

I have stretch marks, too. Thin people who have never once been overweight can get stretch marks, too. My stretch marks came about because I spent most of my life eating too much.

Stretch marks, as far as I know, don't fully go away. The skin has been damaged. But, keeping your skin healthy should help. Some people swear by cocoa butter and shea butter. If you want to shell out the cash, go to a dermstore.com and search stretch marks. They have tons of products.

I agree.... those stretch marks were already there, its the same concept when you get pregnant and your belly stretches.. then after you have the baby they show up more because all of that skin is not stretching anymore.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My stretch marks (from pregnancy) became a lot more noticeable once I lost the baby weight. Just how it is. :/
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    To OP, you actually CAN get stretch marks when losing weight. Stretch marks occur when the skin stretches too quickly. This is why it is suggested you keep the skin well hydrated, as it will allow the skin to stretch better.

So either they were there already, or they are new - considering you've lost more than 10lbs in less than a month (hopefully most of that was water-weight: you're not eating 1200 calories a day, are you?), I can understand how the skin would stretch too quickly.

My stretch marks became LESS noticeable as I lost weight the first time around though. They eventually faded, now I don't even notice them.
  • astroophys
    Options
    To OP, you actually CAN get stretch marks when losing weight. Stretch marks occur when the skin stretches too quickly. This is why it is suggested you keep the skin well hydrated, as it will allow the skin to stretch better.

So either they were there already, or they are new - considering you've lost more than 10lbs in less than a month (hopefully most of that was water-weight: you're not eating 1200 calories a day, are you?), I can understand how the skin would stretch too quickly.

My stretch marks became LESS noticeable as I lost weight the first time around though. They eventually faded, now I don't even notice them.

Can you explain how skin stretches due to a decrease in physical mass? It's like saying a balloon's plastic stretches when the air is blown out of the balloon.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Can you explain how skin stretches due to a decrease in physical mass? It's like saying a balloon's plastic stretches when the air is blown out of the balloon.

It has something to do with trying to retract the skin fast enough for the weight loss, because skin regenerates itself like 1 each month so it's not used to the new size.

It's more likely that you already had the stretch marks. I knew I had mine they are white so they've been there awhile, but you could hardly see them because the skin was stretched tight, now that it's more taught you can see them more, I freaked out at first too. Not really anything you can do.
  • astroophys
    Options

It has something to do with trying to retract the skin fast enough for the weight loss, because skin regenerates itself like 1 each month so it's not used to the new size.

It's more likely that you already had the stretch marks. I knew I had mine they are white so they've been there awhile, but you could hardly see them because the skin was stretched tight, now that it's more taught you can see them more, I freaked out at first too. Not really anything you can do.

Ah ok, interesting. I guess it basically boils down to damaged skin.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks are from stretching PEROD! You had the scars previously to your weight loss. Now that the skin isn't stretched as much they are more visible. Let's take the ballon example. Before it's blown up it has it's natural even distribution. Blow it up and you stretch the surface, but it still looks smooth. Now let the air back out. The surface now has stretching and rippling that weren't originally there. Your skin is the same.