Any "average" ladies trying to get back in shape?

2»

Replies

• 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    I've stopped focusing on losing weight and started focusing on gaining muscle. Trying to eat at my maintenance calories now (sometimes I don't quite get there), started StrongLifts 5x5, and we'll see how it goes!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Maybe I'm just ignorant... I thought strength training was for *after* you lose weight? And cardio/HIIT type stuff was for the fat loss part??

You could incorporate all of it into a routine. I do the Stronglifts 5x5, which is a strength routine. Lifting is good for fat loss. I've recently added in 10 minutes of cardio at the end of my lifting.

Well that brings up another issue... my schedule is jam packed. I get up at 5am, am gone from the house from 7am to 6:30pm during the week, and pretty much only have about 20 minutes in the morning M-F to work out. So I need to maximize that time.

I only lift 3 days a week. So, really, I only exercise 3 days a week. I lift during my lunch hour. my routine normally takes me about 45 minutes and my gym is very close to where I work. Would you be able to do something like that?
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 139 Member
    In the same boat- I am 5'7" and peaked at 157, which is brushing overweight for my height. I am down to 146 now, but it has been hard work; two steps forward one step back, especially when I am working on lifting and cardio on alternate days. That said, I have never felt better in my life! I am 50 years old, and am stronger than I was when I was a teenager. I am wearing clothes I haven't worn in years, but weigh at least 10 pounds more than last I wore them. Still trying to firm things up, but I know this is a lifestyle change so I am just trying to keep moving forward and keep it interesting!
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    wolfsbayne - I might be able to do some kind of workout on my lunch, there is a park very close that I could utilize, but I don't go to gyms (personal reasons) and I don't know where I would put the weights at my office LOL... Is it really terrible to lift on back-to-back days or should I just stick to a Mon/Wed/Fri schedule, and maybe to cardio on Tues/Thurs?
  • Hi! I used to be a pretty small dancer, but then I stopped doing dance and my weight shot up to 178 by the end of my senior year of high school. I lost about 45 lbs my first month and a half of college by not-so-healthy means that really messed up my metabolism. Now that I'm fluctuating between 129-134 I can see a difference on the scale and my clothing size, but when I look in the mirror I don't see a change at all. I think I might see and feel more of a change if I exercised more, and as trivial as it sounds I started hoola hooping 30 minutes a day, 50 squats and 50 crunches and I feel much stronger and a bit tighter around the core!