Looking for some advice re: cholesterol

Options
Specifically from people who have modified it through diet.

My total cholesterol is 172.7, definitely high side but down about 15pts since last time it was checked (thank you, weight loss). My triglycerides are good at 95.36.

What I am really looking for is advice from people who have modified their LDL through diet. Mine is 154.72, that's my somewhat worrying number. HDL is looow too, 33.02, but my understanding is that if I work to lower the the LDL, that should also help raise my HDL.

So, hit me with it, people. Obviously, I plan to stick with my losing of the weigh, and the getting more active, but if you had any particular dietary advice that worked for you, other than "oatmeal", which I am already trying to work into my dietary plan, please share.

Oh, on the bright side, I have a killer A1C. 4.7%, boom. I am so very glad that despite all the **** I have done to my body, and letting myself get so overweight, that at least I haven't developed blood sugar problems. My silver lining!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, when I stopped with the sugared soft drinks, both my LDL and triglycerides dropped like a rock. I tried to understand this after the fact, and I think it has something to do with the way the liver processes fructose into various fats, but I'm not sure. Of course, dropping weight also helps (as you found)...less fat in the cells tends to reduce circulating fats in the bloodstream.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, when I stopped with the sugared soft drinks, both my LDL and triglycerides dropped like a rock. I tried to understand this after the fact, and I think it has something to do with the way the liver processes fructose into various fats, but I'm not sure. Of course, dropping weight also helps (as you found)...less fat in the cells tends to reduce circulating fats in the bloodstream.

I haven't had sugared drinks in quite some time. In fact, I may have had maybe 2 sugared soda's since April :) But thank you.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Not me but my husband had VERY high cholesterol and triglycerides in the spring when they were checked. He cut back on eating junk (the man is addicted to Doritos) and I swapped out for whole grain breads, etc when I could. I added more protein and fewer simple carbs and he started exercising 3 days a week. We also cut out fast food (McDonalds, etc). Without meaning to or tracking, he dropped 15 pounds and his cholesterol is much better! Good luck!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Not me but my husband had VERY high cholesterol and triglycerides in the spring when they were checked. He cut back on eating junk (the man is addicted to Doritos) and I swapped out for whole grain breads, etc when I could. I added more protein and fewer simple carbs and he started exercising 3 days a week. We also cut out fast food (McDonalds, etc). Without meaning to or tracking, he dropped 15 pounds and his cholesterol is much better! Good luck!

I am already eating a fair bit of protein and very few simple carbs. I think I am going to shoot for lots of soluble fiber. Luckily I love broccoli and brussel sprouts and oatmeal and I already have psyllium husk just sitting in the cupboard waiting to try. Also black beans, which I like, look to have lots. Whee, more diet fiddling, lol.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

I haven't had sugared drinks in quite some time. In fact, I may have had maybe 2 sugared soda's since April :) But thank you.

Might be worth checking your other foods for high fructose corn syrup, although, looking at your diary, there doesn't seem to be a lot of candidates for that -- you already eat far cleaner than I.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i'm kind of in the same boat... my total cholesterol is higher, but my HDL was 72 (got tested in july) and my triglycerides were 70, and from what i understand the ratio between those two is one of the key things to look for. my doctor wants me to try to lower mine through diet to see if it really is a dietary issue, or if it's just genetics.

i've stopped using butter in cooking and am just using olive oil, and i've got my MFP tracker counting cholesterol too so i can identify which foods are high. apparently it'll be a while before i eat seafood again :laugh:. i've also added a snack of pistachios (i've read that almonds and walnuts can also help lower cholesterol) and just started taking flax oil supplements. i get tested again in november so we'll see if any of that has helped.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Yeah, it's not some moral choice, for right now it's about making the most of my calories while I drop horrifying amounts of weight I have let accumulate, while not feeling like I am starving all the time. For me, that just happens to mean alot of protein, moderate fat and carbs from whole grain(some) and mostly veg/berries.

ETA: Quote fail. Was a response to poster about my "clean" eating, heh.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    i'm kind of in the same boat... my total cholesterol is higher, but my HDL was 72 (got tested in july) and my triglycerides were 70, and from what i understand the ratio between those two is one of the key things to look for. my doctor wants me to try to lower mine through diet to see if it really is a dietary issue, or if it's just genetics.

i've stopped using butter in cooking and am just using olive oil, and i've got my MFP tracker counting cholesterol too so i can identify which foods are high. apparently it'll be a while before i eat seafood again :laugh:. i've also added a snack of pistachios (i've read that almonds and walnuts can also help lower cholesterol) and just started taking flax oil supplements. i get tested again in november so we'll see if any of that has helped.

Yeah, I am thinking of adding almond butter to oatmeal. Sadly, when I went to buy it yesterday, I found at checkout it had been recalled. :explode:
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I dropped my cholesterol through diet , yoga and/or both from 210 to 170. I changed from having half and half in my coffee to a soy creamer. I also drink soy milk now. I try to remember that cholesterol is in animal products-- so eat a little more vegan but, have meat as a condiment. Also, I drink red wine-- my friend who eats a lot of cheese swears her red wine consumption is why her cholesterol levels are good in spite of the cheese eating.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    what are your macros set at? fat/protein/carbs?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I dropped mine from being a bit high to being a bit perfect by dropping a lot of weight through a moderate caloric restriction and a meaningful increase in physical activity. I didn't avoid any food groups., and it took about six months.

Also, my ratios were improved, and triglycerides count dropped dramatically.

Good luck!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

Um... my diary is open, but it's roughly 30/30/40 carb/fat/protein.

ETA: Looking at my breakdown for the last month, it actually looks like in practice it's 30.2% carbs, 32.9% fat and 36.9% protein.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Due to have my cholesterol re-checked again in another couple months. I'm hoping for some improvement. I'm already taking the fiber capsules, CoQ10 200 mg a day ( Doctor said to try), Garlic pills, and have been avoiding egg yolks. With the addition of losing weight and exercising. Also trying to limit my red meat so far not very well.
    Previously took flax seed oil for over 18 months with no significant improvement.

Trying to eat more avocado, almonds, and use olive oil.

Also heard to eat fish twice a week but I'm slacking here. I had some shrimp about a month ago : way high cholesterol. :(
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Mine improved significantly by just walking 2 miles every day.
    29509743.png
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My LDL is worse after I lost 81 pounds. Go figure. But my ratio is better and my trygs went way down.

I've been eating more nuts. We'll see in 5 months...
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    that ratio isn't actually too bad. i've been at 35% fat, and it has taken almost 2 years of tracking (+meds, no choice) to get my hdl to raise... BUT it finally did!!

have fat and saturated fat shown in your diary. make it #1 priority to hit the fat, but no go over in saturated fat (doesn't matter if you reach it or not, just don't go over). i have found that i just have to have certain foods/ingredients on hand and remember to use them regularly. find the fats (and foods) you like, and enjoy!!

aaaaaaand fat is def calorie dense. highly recommend a food scale here - for everything, but esp fats.

so if you aren't eating enough calories, this goal will likely be too challenging. right now you are at 1352. i'm a couple years older than you, fairly short, didn't have as much to lose (but have lost almost triple digits, so i'm pretty serious still), and NEVER ever would have survived on that few calories. (i have averaged 1700-1800 the entire time. if are actually interested in seeing what this looks like and will at least *consider* raising your calories, feel free to add me.)

minus the macros/cholesterol stuff, PLEASE really do some research on how much you are eating. >>>have you read the sexypants thread??<<< that is a good start, plus the threads linked from that one.

ETA: Looking at my breakdown for the last month, it actually looks like in practice it's 30.2% carbs, 32.9% fat and 36.9% protein.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    that ratio isn't actually too bad. i've been at 35% fat, and it has taken almost 2 years of tracking (+meds, no choice) to get my hdl to raise... BUT it finally did!!

have fat and saturated fat shown in your diary. make it #1 priority to hit the fat, but no go over in saturated fat (doesn't matter if you reach it or not, just don't go over). i have found that i just have to have certain foods/ingredients on hand and remember to use them regularly. find the fats (and foods) you like, and enjoy!!

aaaaaaand fat is def calorie dense. highly recommend a food scale here - for everything, but esp fats.

so if you aren't eating enough calories, this goal will likely be too challenging. right now you are at 1352. i'm a couple years older than you, fairly short, didn't have as much to lose (but have lost almost triple digits, so i'm pretty serious still), and NEVER ever would have survived on that few calories. (i have averaged 1700-1800 the entire time. if are actually interested in seeing what this looks like and will at least *consider* raising your calories, feel free to add me.)

minus the macros/cholesterol stuff, PLEASE really do some research on how much you are eating. >>>have you read the sexypants thread??<<< that is a good start, plus the threads linked from that one.

I find myself quite full most of the time, with energy for everyday stuff and some bodyweight circuit training I have started. I do use a food scale religiously and have read the mentioned posts. Thank you for your concern however.

I am actually having a resting metabolic rate test and a body composition test done Tuesday and may tweak my macros based on the results, but I am happy at or around my current calorie goal.

I will watch my saturated fat as well as increasing my soluble fiber.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My husband's doctor recommended a healthier diet (lower in saturated fat and sugar), more soluble fiber, regular exercise, and a Red Yeast Rice supplement.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My husband lowered his LDL and triglycerides by adding a daily 1 mile walk.