Double Day Workouts

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
I took an extra day off work today to extend my weekend and was thinking I might as well do a morning gym session and one in the evening, Or would it hinder my weight loss, and possibly cause water retention?

Was thinking of mainly doing cardio since tomorrow is my official weigh in day.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes. I jog for 30 mins... but I like to get in an hour so I'll try to do something for another 30 - 45 mins (60 if I'm really energetic) later. It won't be running though. Just watch that you don't push yourself too much in the same way, right?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I do two or three a days a couple days per week so I can have one real rest day and one active rest day and still get in about 10 hours per week (I like to do different kinds of competitions, so I like to train more than just for staying in shape). No worries at all. Just work up to it if you are going to do it with any frequency in the future.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run 5 miles down hill pushing a stroller in the morning and 4 miles pushing the stroller up hill in the evening. I do this 4 days a week. Obviously i had to put a lot of work in to get to this point, but my point is, splitting workouts is a great way to be able to achieve your goals without it being too taxing physically. So sure, do a morning and evening workout,.but take it easy as you figure out what your body can do.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you're doing more than you're used to, yes, you might retain water in response. But also, you might retain water if you don't. I would be more concerned about fat loss than water weight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I took an extra day off work today to extend my weekend and was thinking I might as well do a morning gym session and one in the evening, Or would it hinder my weight loss, and possibly cause water retention?

Was thinking of mainly doing cardio since tomorrow is my official weigh in day.

Nope, do it to it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What does water retention have to do with your fat loss?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    What does water retention have to do with your fat loss?

Per the OP, he clearly does not care about fat loss, only *weight* loss.

Doesn't matter if it's muscle, water, or fat, as long as that number goes down.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I've done that, run, swim, zumba, bike etc, in the morning or earlier in the day, and circuit training or swim or elliptical, etc, later in the day(45-60)-(45-60)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do an hour of workout DVDs at home early in the day and then an hour or two of pole classes in the evening. If I feel like exercising, and I don't feel like I'm over-doing it or putting myself at risk of injury, I just go for it. I doubt it's hindered anything, but I sometimes have a very fussy back, so I need to be extra mindful of listening to my body.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I do double workouts all of the time. As long as you're making sure your body has enough fuel to handle doing multiple workouts in a day, then you will be fine.