Need advice from parents of teenagers!

Options
Let me start of by introducing myself. I joined MFP in the past about 6 months ago but I quit because I did not want to log anymore.

Now Im not here to complain about how it is anyone's fault im like this. Its my fault im not motivated to do anything anymore.

Taking care of myself, weight loss, college etc. I just want to ask you parents, if you had a son or daughter who was like me (just

stopped wanting to do anything) what would you tell them? My parents do not care about this and think its just a phase, maybe it

is. But I don't want to stay like this. I'm not depressed, I just don't care about anything.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like depression and like you need to seek professional help, not found on the internet.
  • taffypie
    Options
    @odesangel I can honestly say I am not a brat, I do not whine about everything. I truly just want some advice on what people think I should do. If you have nothing helpful to say to me, please do not reply.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    You say you're not depressed but "not caring about anything" is one of the signs of clinical depression. You're going to need help with it. Take it from somebody who's been there.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I would say it sounds like you have moderate depression and you should consider going to a therapist a couple times just to see if it'll help. You say you're not depressed, and hunny I've been there where I didn't want to admit it but it you let it get too far with the "I don't care about life" attitude it could lead/most likely does lead to suicidal thoughts and by then it might be too late.
    Talk to your parents about how you feel, talk to school councilors if you have them, talk to a close friend who is there for you. There are 1800 numbers you can call off google just to talk to someone when you're depressed. :) and it's not shameful to admit you're depressed, its the first step to recovery.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I told him to get help or get out.

No joke. My son had totalled his car, lost his job and was partying the summer away...we got on his butt everyday..everyday.

Made him go mow the lawn, look for a job and when he was mopey I found stuff for him to do...

sometimes he would fight me other times he would just leave but at least I didn't have to look at his mopey face...

And yes he has depression...so do I for that matter...diagnosed depression...

When his flares up I tell him to get more sleep, exercise more, get outsdie, and eat right...guess what...it works and he feels better...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Talk to your folks, see a doc. It could just be your hormones are out of whack.

Or sit online asking those of us who have no meaning to your life whatsoever. The choice is yours, but I'd opt for mom and dad.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You're not depressed but you don't care about anything? Are you sure you're not depressed and are avoiding the negative stigma mental disorders tend to get? A little bout of depression is fairly simple to treat and you won't have to feel like that any more. Tell your doctor.
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a 22 year old son, 20 yr. old and 15 year old daughters. Depression and anxiety seem to run in our family. I would say that you should talk to someone. Maybe go to see your regular Dr. and ask them to recommend someone you can talk to. That's a start.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depression_signs_types_diagnosis_treatment.htm

Look at this site. It gives a lot of information. I hope you are able to find someone that you can trust and confide in......do you have friends that are supportive and know how you feel?

Take care of yourself...no one else knows how you feel or think. :-)
  • taffypie
    Options
    I will make an appointment with a counselor. Thanks to all those who replied.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Let me start of by introducing myself. I joined MFP in the past about 6 months ago but I quit because I did not want to log anymore.

Now Im not here to complain about how it is anyone's fault im like this. Its my fault im not motivated to do anything anymore.

Taking care of myself, weight loss, college etc. I just want to ask you parents, if you had a son or daughter who was like me (just

stopped wanting to do anything) what would you tell them? My parents do not care about this and think its just a phase, maybe it

is. But I don't want to stay like this. I'm not depressed, I just don't care about anything.
    I would try being active as much as possible to naturally increase the good mood chemical boosters that could make you care more. Go for walks by a pond or a rail road tracks(i am fascinated with railroads and enjoy walking near them) So try biking or go to the woods and try a trail…really do something even when you really don't care..do it like your getting paid to do it and do small increments like 10 minutes every day go from your house and walk 5 minutes and walk back and boom 10 minutes under your belt…fresh air can do WONDERS for you hun…I used to be depressed a lot too and could have relied on medicine and i do know some people do need it but just gotta try challenging yourself and you will look back not regretting that 10 minute walk and who knows where that can lead you….be safe, be active and as active as you can and don't think a little won't help- it takes a little to be a lot….i wish i could hug you and hope you will ask for some hugs later from your mom…or someone hugs make you feel better even if you offer them for free to a friend or even a close aquantence-i do it all the time at work:)
    Cause you know I have been there too and sometimes some people don't need medicine(don't worry guys I said sometimes) So if you do try medicine then thats fine too if it will help you but medicine won't be the fix factor for losing weight..you may lose a little sure but its not permanent and it can change so..just for your information and it is worth trying to be outside a little more before you go down that road-it may seem easy but it really isn't not if your stronger than we know you really are…but it won't be bad if you did take that road if it means your health even a positive life style:)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not caring, ignoring problems, procrastinating, trouble making simple decisions (what to wear, what to eat), anxiety and generally irritated or frustrated - all hallmarks of depression.

Depression doesn't need a reason. It can just show on up.

See a therapist. Even if you are sure you aren't depressed, something's up. It could be chemical.

If it were my kid, they be in a psychiatrist's office the next day.

The therapist can help you figure out what is going on.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Having both a preteen and a teen, I gotta say that angst is part of the teenage experience. The whole hormonal rollercoaster along with the not-quite-a-child, not-quite-and-adult thing makes for a rough road. OTOH, I'd hate to just write it off as normal just yet.

So, do you not want to do anything, or just don't have strong feelings one way or another? Did you use to have things you liked to do? How about friends?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I have teenagers (ages 15 and 16) who have been through a hellish life (4 years in foster care, finally adopted, then adoptive father-my husband-abused them, too--he's out of our lives). They see a counselor on a regular basis.

I will warn you...some parents have a hard time accepting that their child may have depression. If you can't get your parents to take you to a doctor, then talk to your guidance counselor at school. He or she should be able to help you with talking to your parents and can help point you to resources that will be of help to you.

Depression is not an easy thing, but you can overcome it (though it may take some medication as well as therapy). If you can force yourself, go for a brisk walk. Exercise releases endorphins that help elevate your mood, which might help until you can see someone.

Please feel free to message me if you need to talk.
  • bamagrits15
    bamagrits15 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Honey this is called being a teenager. I have one. He is lazy some times so I stay on him. I don't know if you are depressed of anything like that but do two things for me. 1.) Get off the computer and talk to an adult who you know and that cares about you. 2.) Learn that if you want anything good in life you need to get over not doing things just because you don't feel like it. That is the next step in your life. Adulthood. Get used to doing things for the beneficial value not fun level now.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Teenagers have a tendency to live in the present. They are rarely focused on the futures. They become bored and complacent. Try to think about the life you want to live. The things that you want to have. Lay out some goals for yourself to obtain those things. And then when you need motivation, remind yourself of the things you are working for.

Honestly, no one in life will ever care more about you than you care about yourself. So you really can't look to your parents. You have to take responsibility of your own happiness. If you don't, then you can't really expect to be happy.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    *reaches for a belt*
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Not caring, ignoring problems, procrastinating, trouble making simple decisions (what to wear, what to eat), anxiety and generally irritated or frustrated - all hallmarks of depression.

Depression doesn't need a reason. It can just show on up.

See a therapist. Even if you are sure you aren't depressed, something's up. It could be chemical.

If it were my kid, they be in a psychiatrist's office the next day.

The therapist can help you figure out what is going on.

This too. If you don't outgrow this phase, then you should seek some help.

My mother was chronically depressed for decades... without necessarily having a reason for it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It sounds like mild depression or disthymia to me.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dysthymia/basics/definition/con-20033879

"With dysthymia, you may lose interest in normal daily activities, feel hopeless, lack productivity, and have low self-esteem and an overall feeling of inadequacy. "

Do get a diagnosis. Maybe a prescription can help.

There are good books that can help, too. Look for ones with cognitive behavioral therapy exercises. You can teach yourself to think differently and that results in feeling differently.

Exercise can help, too. Which of course is the last thing you want to do when you don't want to do anything. But if you can talk yourself into going outside in the sun for 10 brisk minutes walk away from home and then 10 back, you might feel better the rest of the day from that little investment.

Good luck! College is a big change. Go easy on yourself. Sometimes 'fake it til you make it' can get you through things.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Much of the previous advice was good...some not so much. I think you do care, or else you would not have asked that question . A part of you is seeking change, which is a good thing. Fortunately, my kids are 21 and 19 and are very motivated. I am not really sure how that happened so I cannot give you much advice. I found it ironic that you said your parents "dont care about this". Maybe you are picking up a bit of their complacency...just a guess. This is a very important time of your life. This is where you choose your path to succeed or get left in the dust. Best of Luck:smile:

Edited to actually answer your question: If my kids were like this I would do everything in my power to find where this was coming from and change things. I certainly would not say"it's just a phase". I would take it very seriously
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options

You sound like my daughter?? Is this you Ashley??!!!

So here's the deal... My child, well she's now 19 and an adult, says all the same thing you're saying and then some however, there are days and times where she is NOT wallowing in her own self. Now she has repeated the word over and over "depression" however, I have for over a year been screaming back, "call the counselor" to which she doesn't. I am not sure of your age, but as I have told her, IF you are feeling this way then YOU need to get help!! I have tried to call for her, they will NOT speak to me because of her age!! You need to be proactive in your own life and figure out what is making you feel this way, NO ONE can figure that out for you!! And just an FYI, meds only mask some of the issues and make you "tolerable" you really need to get through what's ailing you...that's my simple advice...