Washing Dri-fit apparel after each use??

Options
2»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I usually have shower right after I run, and I just bring it in with me and rinse it in the shower, then air dry. I only actually put it through the laundry once a week just because laundry is already being done anyway, but with the rinse i'm sure I could go 2 weeks without really washing it.

Without rinsing, it wreaks after the 2nd time I wear it (i sweat a LOT when I run though, like 2 or 3lbs worth over an hour).

thats actually a really cool idea.

i'm pretty sure that at least some brands claim to have some sort of antibacterial coating or fiber or something... idk if that would cut down on stink or not.

ive been hearing that jean companies recommend putting thier denim in the freezer rather then washing them because it kills germs/bacteria without damaging the material.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I wash all sports clothes, dri-fit or not, after one use. I add white vinegar to the wash and air dry it all. My sports bras specifically say to only wash them after every third use but, no, that doesn't work for me.
    Okay, how about the flip side of the question...

My oldest son has a dry fit shirt he wore under his football pads and no matter what I wash it in, it still has a slight funky stench to it...

How do I get rid of the funk?

Try vinegar in the wash but you might just need to spring for a new shirt.

Why didn't I think of that??? Good idea! THanks!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I would have no problem with re-wearing something as long as it was dry. It's only going to get sweaty again. But I run alone, outside. I'd probably treat myself to a clean vest if I were going to the gym where there might be other people. I'm considerate like that.

Re. stopping stuff smelling, put a scoop of Napisan (or equivalent) in the wash with your detergent.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    In addition, some of our custom Dri Fit shirts are made from antimicrobial fabric in order to prevent a build up of bacteria that can harm the wearer and produce an unflattering odor

http://www.pinnaclepromotions.com/category/performance/1339/1/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's just an article of clothing. It gets the same treatment as my underwear.

Underwear gets soaked does not dry out and smells, dri fit gets completely dry within an hour and does not hold a stink. Not the same thing

It's an article of clothing. It gets washed after each use just like my underwear. To me, it's the exact same thing. I don't want my workout clothes air drying from soaked in sweat to dry. Grosses me out.

ETA: My shirts are just as soaked as my underwear after workout. Probably even more so.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes I Wash mine after each time I wear it but I put it on gentle cycle with no fabric softener, just tide soap.
    I have enough of a wardrobe of sports bras and wicking workout gear that I usually wash after each use. Definitely do not use fabric softener or it'll kill the moisture wicking ability. Instead, use white vinegar for the rinse cycle. It leaves no smell but acts as a pretty good fabric softener.

For the poster who asked about stinky clothes: I empathize. My son plays soccer and, boy, does his stuff reek! He's been using the Downey Scentables during the wash which are safe for moisture wicking fabrics. That in combination with the white vinegar in the rinse cycle seems to do the trick. I've also heard the pre-soaking in white vinegar will help.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    They don't smell TO YOU. Yes, please wash your gym clothes.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I like to use Pro Wash and personally, I prefer to wash after each use although I might wear it twice if I don't sweat too much (rare). If you're only concerned about smell, then wash them when they start to smell.

I find the actual Nike Dri-Fit stuff smells MORE than a plain cotton T that's just been washed. And most of the technical fabrics feel a little coarse to me. But I absolutely love the UnderArmour Charged Cotton. Feels soft, wicks moisture, doesn't smell, and lasts a long time.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not sure about dri-fit, but give merino wool a try and you'll probably love it -- just no smell, at all. Underwear, socks and t-shirts. Dries fast. Can go days without washing it (even the underwear). Awesome for gym/travel/running/warmth in winter/coolness in summer. I love my Icebreaker stuff but there are a handful of other manufacturers too.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This!!! I absolutely cannot believe that so many people have said they don't wash their workout clothes every time they wear them. I would rewear a pair of jeans, and I might even rewear a nice regular bra that I didn't sweat in. But if you're working out and your clothes are not sweaty, you might be doing something wrong. My husband and I are both very active, and our kids practically live in dri fit and under armour and that type of stuff. We have to do at least 2 big loads a week. I hang dry all my really expensive bike wear, but everything else gets dried on low without fabric softener and it all lasts just fine. Please wash your clothes!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I just started wearing dri fit for the gym (what was I waiting for?!?) and I love it! Are you supposed to wash it after each work out? Honestly they dry perfectly and don't even really smell if I air dri it. Do you guys wash them after each work out or can u wear it a couple times before you even wash it? It's not like a cotton shirt that you wear once and becomes heavily soaked and stinky.

My main concern is I don't want to over wash them and then they will start to fade.

MY concern is getting stuck next to some funky person who reuses workout clothes without washing them.

Do you folks shower in between workouts, or do you not want to overdo that, either?

FWIW, I work in and regularly work out in tech fabric shirts (mostly Under Armour) that I have washed hundreds of times w/out fading or loss of function.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Not sure about dri-fit, but give merino wool a try and you'll probably love it -- just no smell, at all. Underwear, socks and t-shirts. Dries fast. Can go days without washing it (even the underwear). Awesome for gym/travel/running/warmth in winter/coolness in summer. I love my Icebreaker stuff but there are a handful of other manufacturers too.
    I have some Merino wool socks that I just love but I don't know if I'd like it as underwear. :huh: It must be much thinner than my socks are....
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have some Merino wool socks that I just love but I don't know if I'd like it as underwear. :huh: It must be much thinner than my socks are....

It's similar thickness to a thin cotton t-shirt but feels silky smooth and doesn't get damp.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    wash it as normal, dry it as normal. do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Seriously!